The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2014, 06:52 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold
Default 1wt line..is this be best choice ? are there others ?

One weights are hard to locate evidently. This is IT,,that I've found so far with internet search.

Cortland 444 Clear Creek Fly Line : Cabela's
Old 03-29-2014, 07:00 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future
Default Re: 1wt line..is this be best choice ? are there others ?

I use RIO Trout LT in DT1F, I like it well.

My local shop always has it, but I think there are enough people here in the front range fishing 1 wts to have it in stock.
Old 03-29-2014, 07:06 PM

james w 3 3 is a jewel in the roughjames w 3 3 is a jewel in the roughjames w 3 3 is a jewel in the rough

You might look for Orvis Superfine 1wt line. I have the 2wt on my Echo Carbon and really like it.
Old 03-29-2014, 07:26 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

Thanks , fella's,,,I couldn't locate a Rio line ,,was looking at wrong offerings and I totally forgot about Orvis's Superfine line. Now, at least I have three choices. I'm kinda interested in the Rio DT now,,but I'm open to any advice.

Just out of curiosity,,,I bet lining a 1wt full flex superfine rod with a 2wt double taper wouldn't work out sterling,,,would it ?

Totally new to the 1wt's,,so thanks for the help.

Mike
Old 03-29-2014, 07:31 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

I personally wouldn't over line it, they are delicate enough they don't quite have the backbone of a 4wt or larger to handle the over line. Being yours is a full flex one it would be a little more dicey. My 1wt is a TXL-f it isn't full flexing like your superfine so it probably could get away with 2wt line. My brother in law actually accidentally fished his 1wt Elkhorn with 3wt line all day one time and he never noticed, but the Elkhorn was more like a 2wt if you went by true standards.

Hate to say it but if lines were $20 it would be worth the experiment but at $50-$80 its a gamble I wouldn't take.

Boy just even chatting 1wts here is getting my juices flowing for late summer dry fly fishing.
fly_guy12955 likes this.
Old 03-29-2014, 08:24 PM

Yes sir, lines ,,good lines,,are too expensive for me to just buy without researching for good advise from fellow fishermen. Wish I had a selection to try on every rod I have for the 'best suited one' for each rod.

I'm gonna chase some blue gills soon with this 1wt. Then,,as I learn it a bit, I'll venture into certain trout streams with it. I'm anxious too,,,it should lay a dry down quiet and smooth as shadow falling. I love a 2wt,,and this should be even more delicate.
Old 03-30-2014, 08:45 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

I concur that either the RIO LT or Orvis (SA) Superfine would be most appropriate. Also, a 2-wt. would be too much.
Old 03-30-2014, 04:58 PM

Thanks, guys. I'm considering between the Rio and Superfine line.

Mike
Old 03-30-2014, 07:46 PM

fireroad is on a distinguished road

Haven't used the Superfine line but the Trout LT DT by Rio is a winner. You may want to check the auctions sites too...before Sage bought Rio and stopped making their own line they had the "Quiet Taper" DT line for ultra light gear and it was quite good.
Old 03-30-2014, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireroad View Post
Haven't used the Superfine line but the Trout LT DT by Rio is a winner. You may want to check the auctions sites too...before Sage bought Rio and stopped making their own line they had the "Quiet Taper" DT line for ultra light gear and it was quite good.
Good call on the quiet taper dt, had that on a 3wt TXL for several years...very nice line for light rods.

If you can find it, at a closeout price that will be quite the snag.