The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2014, 04:20 PM

802flyfish will become famous soon enough
Default S.A. Trout Taper WF-4 ??

Good evening,

Looking to purchase my first line for my 4wt hardy zenith 8'6.
Anyone have any experience with this line? Looking for a decent floating line for cold water ponds/rivers trout fishing in Vermont.

Thanks
Old 03-30-2014, 04:47 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future
Default Re: S.A. Trout Taper WF-4 ??

I actually have SA Textured Trout spooled up on 3 reels and if they made it in 1wt it would be on 4 reels. I use it on

ZXL 376-4
TXL 3710-3
Circa 389-4
TXL 4710-3

And have yet to but will be using it on my 1-' 4wt ICON in the real near future.

I know some guys on here run it on their Zenith's as well.
Old 03-30-2014, 05:11 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

Search Tackle Reviews for SA Textured Trout which I tested on Zenith 8 1/2'/#4...it's the one.
Old 03-30-2014, 06:38 PM

On the package will it say "trout stalker" ? I am getting it through a discount website, so I want to make sure we're talking about the same thing.

---------- Post added at 05:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:33 PM ----------

Also any opinions of the sharkskin trout taper ?
Old 03-30-2014, 06:39 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by 802flyfish View Post
On the package will it say "trout stalker" ? I am getting it through a discount website, so I want to make sure we're talking about the same thing.
Same thing,

My local fly shop told me it was a "marketing" name change....some folks apparently thought Trout Stalker implied some sort of animal abuse.

Its good stuff, the texturing is awesome, makes pick up and recast easy. A little wiggle of the rod tip and lift. No more (or much less) dunking your dry fly on a re-cast. Stays super supple in the frigid winters here in Colorado. Ive fished little dries with it in very cold weather and it turns over like a dream.
Old 03-30-2014, 09:42 PM

ts47 has a spectacular aura aboutts47 has a spectacular aura about

Has anyone tried the new Sharkwave version of this line?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

--Irish Blessing
Old 03-31-2014, 08:00 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

Textured Trout lost the Stalker part of its name due to a copyright infringement issue. Same line though. SS Trout is a slightly different taper and also very good but harder on your hands and louder. Sharkwave should be the best of both worlds but I have yet to see one. And Mastery Expert Distance, name not withstanding, is where it all started and still a great choice.
Old 03-31-2014, 08:14 AM

ts47 has a spectacular aura aboutts47 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
Textured Trout lost the Stalker part of its name due to a copyright infringement issue. Same line though. SS Trout is a slightly different taper and also very good but harder on your hands and louder. Sharkwave should be the best of both worlds but I have yet to see one. And Mastery Expert Distance, name not withstanding, is where it all started and still a great choice.
Thanks S&S!

I have the textured Trout on a 4wt and have been very happy with it. It gives a nice delicate presentation and picks up/mends/roll casts quite well. I think I'm going to try the new Sharkwave on a 5wt. The Sharkwave is expensive though. Unless you really feel like spending the extra money, a discounted Textured Trout is a great choice! So, +1 from me!

Edit: I fished wit the Sharkskin once. While it performs well, it is hard on your fingers and makes a Lot of noise!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

--Irish Blessing
Old 03-31-2014, 10:16 PM

I have the option of getting sharkskin for 50 for a 4wt line. What are the advantages ? Would it be worth it over the textured trout?
Old 04-01-2014, 09:26 AM

dar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 802flyfish View Post
Good evening,

Looking to purchase my first line for my 4wt hardy zenith 8'6.
Anyone have any experience with this line? Looking for a decent floating line for cold water ponds/rivers trout fishing in Vermont.

Thanks
I use that exact same line in that weight on my 4wt rods. The line is true to weight. The rods I use it on are a St Croix Avid 8'6, which is a moderate action rod and also a St Croix Imperial 8'6 & 9', which is more of a moderate/fast action rod. It loads well off the tip of my rods for short casts and does well on longer casts.

I don't know much about the Hardy Zenith, so I can't say how that line would load the rod. If at all possible you may want to try and cast that line on your rod before pulling the trigger.

Dave