The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2014, 09:52 PM

romanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of light
Default 8wt Sinking Line questions

hey guys
i want to pick up 8wt full sinking line for my 8wt Sage Response rod.
right now my main goal in mind for this line will be to use on lakes for Lake Trout, Muskee or Pike, wherever i need streamers to get down and deep.
i've never fished sinking line before, and it probably will see limited use, so i'd like to keep it on the lower end budget.

1. Full sinking line vs Sinking Tip line, any pros/cons i don't know about?
2.ORVIS Access class III $59 ($25 off coupon, would make this $34+tax) looks like a good deal. does anyone have/used this particular line, any feedback?

thanks
Old 04-19-2014, 10:40 AM

ts47 has a spectacular aura aboutts47 has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: 8wt Sinking Line questions

I bought the Orvis 3D Depth Charge line. It's a little more expensive. I chose it because the core is braided and a low stretch, and because of the texturing on it. Sinking lines are a pain to cast. My thought was the texture may help it break the surface tension of the water making it easier to pick up.

Full disclosure: I have no real experience with a sinking line and haven't fished it yet. You may want to get a few other suggestions or wait for other confirmations before you take my advice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

--Irish Blessing
Old 04-19-2014, 10:55 AM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

How deep are your target fish? That's going to be the determining factor. If they're going to be 10' or less, intermediate or Type II or III. 10'- 20' Type III- V, 20' or deeper Type III can be used but it will take a while to get that deep, so a V, VI, VII will work best. You can use any sinking line, but remember it takes a while for the lighter ones to sink to a deeper depth. That just takes away from fishing.

For trout fishing, I use intermediate, II, III, IV, V, and VII. in 4 wt. and 6 wt. lines. I do have and use Rio's Multi Tip for my 8 wt.
Old 04-19-2014, 11:11 AM

rockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of light

Ard's method offers another alternative to a full sinking line. I only had some T-8 laying around and I tried it out the other day and that even takes flies down. Streamer Line for 7wt. It also picks up nicely and can be tailored for different weight rods.
Old 04-19-2014, 11:18 AM

irons is on a distinguished road

Check out SA Kelly galloups streamer express sinking line. Not a full sink line but has 20' or so of sinking line on floating line.
Old 04-19-2014, 07:36 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

I would agree on the ORVIS multi tip fly line. It was fantastic with 15' of floating, clear intermediate, Class III sinking (3" to 4"/second), and Class VI sinking (6" to 7"/second). Then 85' of floating line. But, alas, they no longer offer it.
If you want to fish deep, I would go full sink Density Compensated. Type III and Type VII. Intermediate for cooler temps.
Depth Charge is pretty sweet. Get a 300 to 350 grain. 30' of sinking line into 70' of intermediate. And it is far more supple than the Kelly Streamer Express.