The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2014, 05:31 PM

zarick is on a distinguished road
Default Echo Ion 6 Backing

I just bought a second spool for my Echo ion 6. The specs says 150yds +WF6F or 135yds +WF7F. I am going to be using a Cortland 444 WF6I. So I was thinking of putting 150yds of cortland Micron 20# backing on. Or should I only put 135yds on.. or even less.

My current spool came pre-loaded with WF6F line so I am not sure how much backing is on it and this is all a bit new to me.
Old 04-07-2014, 05:42 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future
Default Re: Echo Ion 6 Backing

I will be no help with this answer....it depends

1) Are you chasing fish which have the ability to smoke your reel and get you in to and ran out of backing ?

2) Do you want your reel so full you have to micro manage the floating line as it comes in to avoid it barreling and pinching the line

Example I have a Lamson Speedster 3 for a 7wt rod I am running 8wt line on so I filled it up to 6wt specs so the 8wt will fit but have enough backing as I will be chasing big fish with it.

I have a small reel for 3wt that has maybe 20 yards backing on it since it is for tiny trout. The line on there is very supple so I am not worried about coil/memory

Then I have a reel that is spec'd for 4-6wt line but I run 4wt on it so it is spooled with the specs for 6wt because I dont want as much coil on my floating line

So like I said....terrible answer but it depends.
Old 04-08-2014, 11:11 PM

zarick is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Echo Ion 6 Backing

Well. I got 150yds of micron backing. Threw my cortland 444 WF6I on there and bam! could have put another 50yds of backing on and still cleared. I am surprised. but I have about 1/4" of space from the top inner edge to the line.