The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2014, 10:04 AM

ts47 has a spectacular aura aboutts47 has a spectacular aura aboutts47 has a spectacular aura about
Default 2 lines for Hardy Zenith 9' 6wt

I need two fly lines. One, a floating line. The other, a sink tip/head streamer line. I would like to have any suggestions you may have. This will primarily be a trout rod. It could very well see some bass as well.

The floating line would primarily be used for throwing nymph rigs, large terrestrials and streamers. It would be nice if I could hang onto some of the roll casting and delicate presentation characteristics of a line with a longer rear taper. It would also be nice to be able to throw the occasional dry fly and roll cast my way out of a tight spot if I get into one. I "think", but don't know that the Zenith in this weight prefers a half size heavy fly line which complicates the decision for me. I'm a fan of the SA trout taper, but don't think this line in a 6wt would be the right choice for this rod and may not have enough of a head to handle larger bugs. Other lines currently on my list are the Rio Gold and SA textured GPX. I generally gravitate toward the textured lines for their ease in roll casting, mending, etc. These are just a few of my thoughts. Please feel free to offer your own.

I'm open to any suggestions on a sink tip or head streamer line. I was thinking something in a 200 grain head would be the way to go. I really don't know if this is the right decision or not.

Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. While I own a number of other lines, these will be my first in a 6wt. So I can't experiment. I don't own any sink tip/head streamer lines - at least not that I've had the chance to fish yet. For a new 8wt, I bought a sinking line and the Versitip II setup. I just haven't fished them yet.

EDIT: it may be possible that some of this has already been discussed. If I missed a previous post that would be relevant, please point me in that direction. Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Last edited by ts47; 04-19-2014 at 11:01 AM.
Old 04-19-2014, 10:30 AM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: 2 lines for Hardy Zenith 9' 6wt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ts47 View Post
I'm open to any suggestions on a sink tip or head streamer line. I was thinking something in a 200 grain head would be the way to go. I really don't know if this is the right decision or not.
My recommendation would be the SA Supra Sink Tip in size WF-6-F/S. Comes in different sink rates; get the fastest (grade V). The tip is heavy enough to get your fly down, but short enough that the rear end of your head will stay floating, which makes casting easier.

Supra Sink Tip
Old 04-19-2014, 10:13 PM

ts47 has a spectacular aura aboutts47 has a spectacular aura aboutts47 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by moucheur2003 View Post
My recommendation would be the SA Supra Sink Tip in size WF-6-F/S. Comes in different sink rates; get the fastest (grade V). The tip is heavy enough to get your fly down, but short enough that the rear end of your head will stay floating, which makes casting easier.

Supra Sink Tip
I would consider Kelly Galloup's Streamer Express Long. I would be fishing deeper runs in some reasonably fast moving tailwaters with it. Does anyone have any experience with this line?

Old 04-19-2014, 10:23 PM

james w 3 3 is a jewel in the roughjames w 3 3 is a jewel in the roughjames w 3 3 is a jewel in the rough

I'll assume it's a Zenith 4pc.
My 4wt Zenith 4pc throws the Airflo Exceed 4wt line beautifully.
Floats high, picks up off the water nice, shoots quietly.
Yes, a Zenith prefers a half size over.
The one piece version is a different cat.
Hope this helps a little.
Cheers!
Old 04-21-2014, 09:37 AM

I think I'm going to go with SAs GPX for a floater. I may even try the new Sharkwave line in hopes the texturing helps with roll casting. If the Rio Gold was just a bit heavier, I would try that. I really like the long rear taper, but think I want a heavier line better suited for streamers and nymph rigs.

For a streamer line, I think I'm going to try the Kelly Galloup 200 grain line.

If anyone has a better suggestion, I'm happy to hear it.

Old 04-21-2014, 09:11 PM

bocast is on a distinguished road

Try the Rio steelhead/salmon line. Its longer taper helps immensely with the roll cast. My wife fishes it exclusively on her 9'6" Zenith 6 weight. That rod has become her go to rod for everything. The combination rocks.
Old 04-22-2014, 02:49 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Why not just a floating line and make or buy some lead head leader sections to fish deep with. I use subsurface flies all the time and I rig as follows..............

1. Fly line connected to a 4 foot long 30 pound Maxima butt section with a braided loop connector.
2. A 36 or 48" Beartooth Montana Lead Head or 48" of RIO T-20 is connected loop to loop onto the butt section.
3. Three or 4' of 12 or 15 pound Maxima connected to the sinking section via loop to loop and my streamer or salmon fly tied on the end.

No two lines, no extra spools, I just change up the leader and fish as deep as I need to. The depth is controlled by the length of the butt section. You dress the floating line with your choice of line float material so it stays high and dry while the mono and the lead head sink. Because you have only a 36 - 48" section of sinking line which is in the middle of your leader it is way easier to get it up out of the water to cast.

I have been fishing this way since 1994. Yes you must become accustomed to casting a weighted leader but it is way easier than a 15' long sink tip. If you want info on where you can buy lead heads send a PM. If you want to make your own you can do so using the bulk tungsten kits available from RIO products. I use T-20 but you could get by with T-17. I use the heavy stuff so that my sections are short.

The system works well here and the rivers I fish have considerable depth and currents. I am able to catch salmon and all other species using this system.

Ard
ts47 likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-22-2014, 08:12 AM

ffcolorado is on a distinguished road

I am using the RIO Perception on my 5 and 6 weight Zenith one piece rods. The 6 wt has no problems tossing heavily weighted buggers and the Perception offers great line control on the water for nymphing. I especially enjoyed swinging with it as the no stretch made it easy to detect the strike and set the hook quickly. It is the only line I have fished with these rods so far, but the fly lands where I am looking. I also recently bought the one piece 4 wt for primarily dry flies. Great rod series.
Old 04-22-2014, 09:54 PM

Well guys... I already spent the money.

Ard, thanks for the suggestion. I will follow up on this. I know a fly shop owner that would likely be willing to help me put this together. I would like to give this a try. Sending PM.

Todd

Old 09-08-2014, 06:54 PM

fireroad is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ts47 View Post
Well guys... I already spent the money.

Ard, thanks for the suggestion. I will follow up on this. I know a fly shop owner that would likely be willing to help me put this together. I would like to give this a try. Sending PM.

Todd

Curious as to what line(s) you ended up with? I finally picked up a 9' 6wt Zenith on an impulse buy and wondering what to do about a full floater for chucking big bugs out of a boat.