Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By audax

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2014, 01:46 PM

throssing is on a distinguished road
Default Cortland Classic 444 Whisper Double Taper

Sierra Trading Post has a sale on this line, although they apparently only have the 7 weight remaining in stock. I currently have the old 444 DT7F on my 7 weight rod, and I like it very much--so much that I have worn it out. I have a few questions that I would like some help with:

1. The concept of the whisper taper is that there is a very long front taper on the WF version of the line. The DT version does not share this very long front taper. Am I correct here that the DT has a profile of a standard DT?

2. Does the Whisper taper have welded loops on both ends?

3. Cortland seems to have discontinued this line after only a very few years on the market. Does anyone know whether there was a problem with this line?

Thanx

Last edited by throssing; 06-21-2014 at 04:08 PM.
Old 06-23-2014, 12:31 PM

glacierjohn will become famous soon enoughglacierjohn will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Cortland Classic 444 Whisper Double Taper

Quote:
Originally Posted by throssing View Post
Sierra Trading Post has a sale on this line, although they apparently only have the 7 weight remaining in stock. I currently have the old 444 DT7F on my 7 weight rod, and I like it very much--so much that I have worn it out. I have a few questions that I would like some help with:

1. The concept of the whisper taper is that there is a very long front taper on the WF version of the line. The DT version does not share this very long front taper. Am I correct here that the DT has a profile of a standard DT?

2. Does the Whisper taper have welded loops on both ends?

3. Cortland seems to have discontinued this line after only a very few years on the market. Does anyone know whether there was a problem with this line?

Thanx
Sorry, can't help you at all except to say I just pulled my Dad's old (early 90s) peach colored 444 DT6F out and strung it on my late 80s vintage Scott G 906. Wow, that's a match made in heaven! It worked much better than the GPX WF6F I had on it before. The half size heavier GPX really overloaded the already slow G, the DT 444 feels just right punching 50' cast into a stiff breeze while cast shot effortlessly.
Old 06-23-2014, 01:48 PM

audax will become famous soon enoughaudax will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Cortland Classic 444 Whisper Double Taper

Per the info I have, the front taper on the Whisper DT is 25% longer than the front taper on a classic "peach" 444 DT.

The WF version has a front taper that is about 3x that of the "peach" WF. More like a delta taper. Most likely Cortland's attempt to market a "delicate" WF line.

That long front taper will make a line that casts noticeably different from the shorter taper on the old 444 you're replacing. Lots of people love delta taper and Wulff TT lines. You may love it or hate it.

Welded loops?....don't know, but I would doubt so. The welded loops appear to be a more recent offering.
throssing likes this.