Wulff Triangle Tapers...

glacierjohn

Reaction score
I bought two Wulff TT about 10-12 years ago, a 4-5 and a 5-6. I never really warmed up to either line. I bought them based on a salesman's pitch. They are both white. I was wondering if the triangle taper has evolved over the years, and what is it exactly?

luked

Reaction score
A few years ago I had some of the Wulff triangle taper for a dry fly line and i loved it for dries. One of the trout parks we fish here is pretty tight quarters in a lot of places and I had never seen or used a line that roll casted like that stuff. It was great

smilingduck

Reaction score
Of the many innovations that Lee Wulff has contributed to fly fishing, the Triangle Taper fly line is perhaps the most popular. Winner of the coveted Kudo award,the triangle taper offers the greatest delicacy of any fly line. The Triangle Taper is a continuous forward taper in the head of the line, the first 27 to 40 feet depending on the application. This provides the most efficient transfer of casting energy as it unrolls because the heavier line is constantly turning over lighter line. This design also gives you a more delicate presentation because the weight is away from the fly. It is also the finest roll casting line for up to 60’ casts. The combination of a long weighted section and a light running line make the triangle taper cast like a shooting head for distance. The tip end can be customized by cutting it back for the desired performance level. The fly line that gives you easy-casting performance for both overhand and close-in roll casting. Renowned for its revolutionary taper design, which promotes efficient energy transfer. You’ll enjoy more delicate presentations in any situation. Available in floating, 90’ length with a 36’-40’ taper and a 54’–50’ running line with welded loop for easy leader attachment. Floating line features J3 coating Colors: Olive, Ivory, or Orange Sizes: 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

This is the description from the RoyalWulff website. I grew up fishing spring creeks these are great for dry fly fishing but I love these lines for nymph/poly yarn indicator fishing. It's a continuos taper so it excels at roll casting and mending. You have to fish these lines to really appreciate them. I would put one on your longer nymph rod and fish it.

They have evolved I also have an #8 bass TT bug taper. It's like casting a laser I can throw larger bass bugs with ease. A few times trout fishing during a blizzard I put it on my #6 and I could cast into very strong wind. I also have the Joan Wulff Signature Line #6 I like it cause the tip is ivory then shooting line is orange it's a weight forward. I don't have any of the other lines but would and will buy more. There is a Freshwater MonoClear Line that looks interesting.

If your not going to use them I would be willing take them off your hands. Also I sent you a reply about my Scott G904 did you get my reply?

Thanks Dylan

glacierjohn

Reaction score
Of the many innovations that Lee Wulff has contributed to fly fishing, the Triangle Taper fly line is perhaps the most popular. Winner of the coveted Kudo award,the triangle taper offers the greatest delicacy of any fly line. The Triangle Taper is a continuous forward taper in the head of the line, the first 27 to 40 feet depending on the application. This provides the most efficient transfer of casting energy as it unrolls because the heavier line is constantly turning over lighter line. This design also gives you a more delicate presentation because the weight is away from the fly. It is also the finest roll casting line for up to 60’ casts. The combination of a long weighted section and a light running line make the triangle taper cast like a shooting head for distance. The tip end can be customized by cutting it back for the desired performance level. The fly line that gives you easy-casting performance for both overhand and close-in roll casting. Renowned for its revolutionary taper design, which promotes efficient energy transfer. You’ll enjoy more delicate presentations in any situation. Available in floating, 90’ length with a 36’-40’ taper and a 54’–50’ running line with welded loop for easy leader attachment. Floating line features J3 coating Colors: Olive, Ivory, or Orange Sizes: 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

This is the description from the RoyalWulff website. I grew up fishing spring creeks these are great for dry fly fishing but I love these lines for nymph/poly yarn indicator fishing. It's a continuos taper so it excels at roll casting and mending. You have to fish these lines to really appreciate them. I would put one on your longer nymph rod and fish it.

They have evolved I also have an #8 bass TT bug taper. It's like casting a laser I can throw larger bass bugs with ease. A few times trout fishing during a blizzard I put it on my #6 and I could cast into very strong wind. I also have the Joan Wulff Signature Line #6 I like it cause the tip is ivory then shooting line is orange it's a weight forward. I don't have any of the other lines but would and will buy more. There is a Freshwater MonoClear Line that looks interesting.

If your not going to use them I would be willing take them off your hands. Also I sent you a reply about my Scott G904 did you get my reply?

Thanks Dylan
Hi Dylan

I did get your reply, sorry I didn't answer, I had three trips in three weeks to Canada and Houston. I'm heading out the door right now, but will post later when I return. I'll list the rods I typically use and ask for advise on what to try the TT lines on.

Thanks,

John

glacierjohn

Reaction score
Hi Dylan

I did get your reply, sorry I didn't answer, I had three trips in three weeks to Canada and Houston. I'm heading out the door right now, but will post later when I return. I'll list the rods I typically use and ask for advise on what to try the TT lines on.

Thanks,

John
SD, thanks for posting that info on the TT lines, now I'm inspired to give them another try with some different rods. The rods I use most often are my Scott G 904, Scott G 906, both medium action dry fly rods, a new Scott Radian 905 and an Echo-3 10' six weight.

For lines I have:

For Scott G904
- WF4F GPX
- WF4F Rio Trout taper
- Wulff TT 4-5 wt

For Scott G906
- WF6F GPX
- DT6F Cortland 444
- Wulff TT 5-6
- WF5F GPX

For Scott Radian 905
- Might try both Wulff TT's the 4-5 and 5-6
- SA Sharkskin Trout WF5F
- WF5F GPX

For Echo-3 10' 6 weight
- Might try the Wulff TT 5-6
- WF6F GPX
- DT6F Cortland 444

labtrout

Reaction score
I have been using Triangle Taper lines on my IM6 Winston 4 and 5-weight rods for many years and now on my B2x 6-weight as well. As others have mentioned, they roll cast beautifully, lay out long gentle casts with dry flies and can handle nym, phs effectively too.

I think they would complement your Scott G series rods very well, and I would encourage you to give them a try. My only complaint about the TT lines is that, like other brands, the tip starts to sink after a season or so. I simply dress the last 5-6 feet with Loon Aquel and that helps.

By the way, the first number is the true line weight, so while you can try that 4/5 line on your Radian, I have a feeling it will not be a good fit on such a fast rod. The newer Wulff lines no longer have that dual designation, which never made much sense to me.

Last edited:

smilingduck

Reaction score
I would try the 4/5 on your #4 weight G904. I consider the first number the line weight on the older lines. So your Radian I would try a 5/6 but when I fish I like to carry a 6/7 also on a spare spool. Most of the time I don't need it but when that wind picks up you need it. These lines are my goto nymph/indicator lines I use a poly yarn so they turn over great. I would suggest trying them on a river so you can mend and water load the lines just casting on your lawn won't do them justice. When I fish it's usually short line so going up a line size will load your rod better. You might have to pick up a 6/7 for you #6 weight rods I don't think a 5/6 will load it correctly. Good luck let me know how it goes.

grouch

I don't deserve a title
Reaction score
Both my Scott salt set ups use them, an 8wt floater and a 10wt inter. I love the lines, so much so that I will be picking up the 7wt bass line for my Heliply.

these go to 11

Reaction score
I've been using a TT line on my 5wt for the past year or so. I bought it based upon a recommendation from the owner of my local fly shop, and I like it. It roll casts and mends very well for me. It also appears to be reasonably durable, although time will tell.

flycaster1977

Reaction score
I bought the tt in 5wt about 8-10 years ago. I really liked its ability to load a rod at shorter distances and it roll casted like no other. Nowadays i have a faster rod and need something different for short casts. I bought rio gold and have never looked back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk