The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2014, 11:36 PM

agate is on a distinguished road
Default Fly Line's life expectancy

How long I should keep my fly lines or when I need to change a line?

I two 4wt fly lines, one is Orvis Trout and other is Monic clear. They both are 3 years old, still works good. I use these lines often.Do I need to change these lines
Old 07-07-2014, 01:14 AM

darwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Fly Line's life expectancy

If you keep them clean and stored properly you should get years out of a line(under normal use). I only change one if it starts to crack, split, gets stiff or shows real signs of wear/fatigue.
Or if I just want something new.
imxer, fredaevans and alex2 like this.
Old 07-07-2014, 03:24 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Heat and sunlight are the typical 'line killers.' The back window of your car during the summer is the kiss of death. Another potential problem is leaving your line tightly wound on a reel (light lines are the worst). If you're not going to use the reel for an extended period pull the line off the reel, make loose coils and stick in a gallon zip lock bag.

Frequently you don't even have to remove the reel it will probably fit in the bag as well.

fae
lv2nymph likes this.
Old 07-07-2014, 05:26 AM

lv2nymph is just really nicelv2nymph is just really nicelv2nymph is just really nicelv2nymph is just really nicelv2nymph is just really nice

What I've done with my lines over the years is every two or three outings I'll strip all the line off the reel and give it a good cleaning in the sink. I keep them out of the light, when not in use things are stored in the cool bsmt. out of the light. I've got three or four lines older than ten years and I know my Wulff bass taper line is at least 13-14 yrs old. If they still float and haven't cracked I'm using em.
troutnut4 and glacierjohn like this.
Old 07-07-2014, 08:51 AM

glacierjohn will become famous soon enoughglacierjohn will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by lv2nymph View Post
What I've done with my lines over the years is every two or three outings I'll strip all the line off the reel and give it a good cleaning in the sink. I keep them out of the light, when not in use things are stored in the cool bsmt. out of the light. I've got three or four lines older than ten years and I know my Wulff bass taper line is at least 13-14 yrs old. If they still float and haven't cracked I'm using em.
That's what I do. I probably have 12-15 fly lines, one my Cortland 333 Rocket Taper eight weight is 40 years old. I just can't bring myself to throw them away when they still work, no cracks and don't have memory coils. I should remove them from the reels like Fred suggest, but all mine are stored on the same spool year after year. I guess the fly line companies know what they are doing.
biggie_robs likes this.
Old 07-07-2014, 09:27 AM

turbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really nice

The biggest killer for me is driveway casting -- but I'm aware of what will happen and just use lines which are less expensive for this. I fish every weekend and fairly regularly during the week and probably put a lot of hard use on my lines. I also fish in areas where my lines get dragged through sediment often.

I got 1.5 years out of my most-used 5-weight line before I had enough cracking and random dings to require a new one. I'm cool with that -
Old 07-07-2014, 10:18 PM

tpo has a spectacular aura abouttpo has a spectacular aura abouttpo has a spectacular aura about

I have a bunch of lines in the 15-20 year range, and they still work great. I clean them regularly and I never cast them on anything but water ( I have a dedicated practice line). I wondered if I should get rid of them cecause of age but I see no reason to do that, they perform very well.

Tom
Old 07-07-2014, 10:29 PM

dannyboy is on a distinguished road

My Rio floating line finally pulled it's last tug last night. She was about 10-11 years old. It was an awesome line.
Old 07-12-2014, 05:22 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

On another BB, we were discussing why the tips of fly lines begin to sink.

I did an experiment. I got an old 4 wt fly line, actually my original 4 wt fly line from the 1980's. It had multiple cracks in the first foot so water could enter the braided core in multiple places. I fished it for an hour and the first foot sank under the water.

Then I coated that part of the line with a thick silicone fly paste and line treatment. The treatment coated the line and filled in the cracks. The line then floated. Silicone fly floatant is hydrophobic and when to coated the line, it allowed the surface tension to float the line.

Modern fly lines are supposed to renew their plasticizers and hydrophobic coating by slowly releasing it from the line coating and keeping the line slick and water repellant (hydrophobic). When these are used up, the fly lines coatings become brittle and crack.

The reason even new fly line sink is that they get dirty and the coating is no longer next to the water. The dirt on the coating is. So they sink. Clean the line and it will float again or treat the line with line treatment.

"Believe it or not, a fly line can get dirty from water as well. Dirt, algae and dust that are dissolved in water will adhere to the outer skin of a fly line. This is why we make most of our fly lines hydrophobic - they repel water. After wiping the line clean, apply a light coating of a fly line dressing. This will help to re-lubricate the line and gives the fly line a slick and clean finish."

"Within the balance of the coating are a number of chemicals that essentially act as moisturizers. These chemicals keep the plastic coating supple and strong and prevent it from drying out, or de-plasticizing. The course of time and ultra-violet rays has an aging process that will eventually make the fly lines dry out and crack."

Cleaning Fly Lines - Fishing Tips | RIO

If the fly line won't float and you are on the river, use a Scientific Anglers micro abrasive cleaning cloth to remove the dirt and treat the line.

Cleaning and Dressing Fly Lines | Scientific Anglers

Fly lines float for 3 reasons. Glass beads between the core and coating lower the specific gravity, hydrophobic line coatings repel water, and the surface tension of water support the line.

Hydrophobic coating that repel water and surface tension result from the fact that a water is a polar molecule and are attracted to each other but repel non polar molecules.

Even when the line is cracked, if you fill the cracks with a silicone line paste and coat the line, it will float,
mojo, nickj, siege and 1 others like this.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 07-12-2014, 06:40 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I have a $15 line, still on the reel, that I bought in 1982. No cracks
That was as cheap a line as you could buy at the time.