Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2014, 08:00 PM

tail of the pool is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to tail of the pool
Default Re: Making my own leader

Another good option thanks for that
I think I fish, in part, because itís an anti-social, bohemian business that, when gone about properly, puts you forever outside the mainstream culture without actually landing you in an institution. ĖJohn Gierach
Old 08-03-2014, 08:24 PM

mtaag3 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by james w 3 3 View Post
Perhaps consider another path . . .
I used a furled leader from Zen Outfitters for all my river/stream fishing. Just tie on a tippet, casts GREAT and lasts all season barring some catastrophic event. Net cost over the year makes it very reasonable.
I'm going to read more on these as I'm not sure how a colored leader helps? It seems at that point you're only leaving 3'-4' of clear tippet. Doesn't that spook the trout?

I do like the idea of a long term solution though.
Old 08-03-2014, 09:33 PM

ts47 has a spectacular aura aboutts47 has a spectacular aura aboutts47 has a spectacular aura about

Mike,

You said you were burning through leaders and buying them by the dozen. Have you considered using tippet rings?

Read this thread for a little insight. Tippet rings or perfection loop?

If you take one of your 9 foot tapered leaders and cut off about 18 inches of the tippet you can tie on a tippet ring. Once the metal tippet ring is attached, you can add tippet between the tippet ring and the fly as often as you want without using up the balance of the leader.

Not sure if this is helpful or not. I'm throwing it out just in case.

Todd

PS: Furled leaders last so long because they have tippet rings on the end to attach the tippet to.

---------- Post added at 08:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:26 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtaag3 View Post
I'm going to read more on these as I'm not sure how a colored leader helps? It seems at that point you're only leaving 3'-4' of clear tippet. Doesn't that spook the trout?

When straight line nymphing (consider reading Dynamic Nymphing), using a colored section in the middle of the leader acts as a strike indicator. You can see the colored leader get pulled under and keep better track of your leader were it enters the water. Most of the leader that is blow surface is clear tippet. So, no spooked trout!
mtaag3 likes this.
Old 08-03-2014, 10:01 PM

james w 3 3 is a jewel in the roughjames w 3 3 is a jewel in the roughjames w 3 3 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtaag3 View Post

I wondered about that too at first, but there's so much stuff floating by a trout during their lifetime apparently 4-6ft of tippet is all the separation you need. I use a very neutral medium tan color, maybe it just looks like a long twig. Anyway, it doesn't seem to hurt at all, and the improvement to my presentation more than offsets anything else.
Hope that helps a bit.
mtaag3 likes this.
Old 08-04-2014, 09:32 AM

ts47 has a spectacular aura aboutts47 has a spectacular aura aboutts47 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by james w 3 3 View Post
I wondered about that too at first, but there's so much stuff floating by a trout during their lifetime apparently 4-6ft of tippet is all the separation you need. I use a very neutral medium tan color, maybe it just looks like a long twig. Anyway, it doesn't seem to hurt at all, and the improvement to my presentation more than offsets anything else.
Hope that helps a bit.
I'm not the most knowledgeable guy on this forum. So if someone with more experience than I corrects what I'm about to say, please take their word over mine.

A very basic note on colors for the OP:

Colors above water have been debated over and over on this forum, mostly in terms of fly line color and IF it matters. Usually, the answer is no, the color does not matter. What the fish sees is a shadow. What you want to do is separate the shadow from the fly. The more spooked the fish are, the greater the distance of separation. The best way to do this is with a fluorocarbon tippet. The second best is with a clear monofilament tippet. The exception to this rule would be your clothing.

When you are using a colored section of leader as a strike indicator, that colored section is usually straight up and down as in tight-line nymphing, not floating on the surface. So there is no or much less of a concern about the shadow. Having the color there also helps us better see the leader and any strikes. I prefer to use a product like https://umpqua.com/products/leader-a...cator-tippet-0 for that colored section. It is two colors - one end yellow and the other red. It is easy to see. The spot where the two colors meet allow you to better see the "tug" because it creates a "spot" on the leader.

If you are not tight-line nymphing, I believe the entire leader should be clear. Well... That would be with the exception where you are using a furled leader. Ugh!

Hope this helps!

Todd

Last edited by ts47; 08-04-2014 at 09:55 AM.
Old 08-25-2014, 08:28 AM

nav will become famous soon enough

My personnal recipe for trout leaders (especially for light nymphs, but works well with dries too) with a #5 rod :
Diameter (mm) Lengh (cm) all tied with nylon Maxima
0,45................... 45
0,16....................45 (with a micro loop)
0,08, 010 or 0,12..........200 to 250

With that leader around 6 meters long, a parachute cast, it allows small nymphs (not overweighted) to sink slowly. That's perfect for spooky trouts in clear waters.

When my leader is done (at home) I let it in boiling water between 2 and 5 minutes), this provides great elasticity (+25%).
Click the image to open in full size.