The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2014, 09:12 AM

kuch is on a distinguished road
Default Rio Lines and a Scott Radian- Question

Considering the cost of lines these days I am looking for some feedback before I engage in a $100 experiment.

On my 9'-0 5wt Scott Radian I have been using mostly Rio Gold. The Gold has been a pretty good line overall but it doesn't load the rod exceptionally well inside of 25'. Overall, I really like how well Gold can present dries....much better than GPX. I tried GPX for the heck of it and while it works very well in close distances, it seems to make the rod feel a bit heavy and bogged down at the longer distances. It also doesn't mend as well as the Gold due to the short rear taper.

My question is has anyone tried the Rio Perception on a 905 Radian and can make comments? Especially if it can be compared to Rio Gold. Gold may be the best pairing for the Radian but I am still curios about the Perception. Looking at the specs on Rio's site, the Perception seems to have a shorter and heavier head than the Gold.
Old 08-21-2014, 10:07 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future
Default Re: Rio Lines and a Scott Radian- Question

I went back and forth between Perception and Gold on my new #6 this spring and preferred Gold. Not only a better taper as you indicated but I am leaning away from non-stretch cores for dry fly fishing. With its soft tip, I'm surprised Radian has in close loading issues with Gold's already 1/2 heavy configuration.
Old 08-21-2014, 10:13 AM

glacierjohn will become famous soon enoughglacierjohn will become famous soon enough

Sorry can't help you on the perception, but like you I found the Rio Gold to be much better at presenting flies than the GPX. I do think the GPX would load better short, but would slam the fly down pretty hard. You might not feel the Gold load the rod with just a little line out, but I find myself making very short cast accurately and easily even if the rod doesn't bend much. Scott recommends the SA Expert Distance Taper and told me my SA Sharkskin Ultimate Trout was basically the same taper, I tried it but found the heavier Rio Gold and GPX easier to cast.
Old 08-21-2014, 11:34 AM

fireroad is on a distinguished road

If you are willing to try a different brand altogether my buddy loves the new Airflo Super-Dry Exceed on his Radian. Heavier then the Gold, but longer (and better) taper than the Perception and would have a gentler touch than a GPX.
Old 08-21-2014, 11:47 AM

kuch is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
I went back and forth between Perception and Gold on my new #6 this spring and preferred Gold. Not only a better taper as you indicated but I am leaning away from non-stretch cores for dry fly fishing. With its soft tip, I'm surprised Radian has in close loading issues with Gold's already 1/2 heavy configuration.
Loading may be the wrong term for me to use....feeling the loading in close may better describe what I meant. I also think I'm a little spoiled by my Helios 2 Tip Flex 4wt which is incredibly impressive with Rio Gold. The H2 has great feel and accuracy in close and at distance. It can also come close to perfectly laying down a dry fly. What I am hearing here is Gold is likely the best overall trout line for the Radian if sticking with Rio products.
kukk likes this.
Old 08-21-2014, 12:41 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

As I have oft commented upon with very light quicker rods, it is the feel of the line not the rod's mass that needs to be focused upon. Gold has a shorter front taper tan the lighter SA "Trout" lines and will load a rod like Radian better in close. H2 tip-flex is a mid-flex next to Radian bending a good 35% down into its taper compared to perhaps 20% for the same cast with Radian. I've been giving a lot of thought to soft tip verses "stiff" tipped designs this season and am fishing rods of both designs.
Old 08-21-2014, 03:00 PM

glacierjohn will become famous soon enoughglacierjohn will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
As I have oft commented upon with very light quicker rods, it is the feel of the line not the rod's mass that needs to be focused upon. Gold has a shorter front taper tan the lighter SA "Trout" lines and will load a rod like Radian better in close. H2 tip-flex is a mid-flex next to Radian bending a good 35% down into its taper compared to perhaps 20% for the same cast with Radian. I've been giving a lot of thought to soft tip verses "stiff" tipped designs this season and am fishing rods of both designs.
My perception casting my Radian is that it is a fast action rod that flexes as you describe, so I was surprised when my buddy sent me a pic he took of me fishing out of the bow of my boat earlier this summer. He caught me just as I was powering into my front cast on a 40-50' cast. The pic shows the rod bending slightly all the way into the grip. I'll try to post the pic.

Edit:not a lot of bend, but a shallow bend into the grip. My G series would have a lot more bend.
Old 08-21-2014, 05:07 PM

If you take a pair of rods, say Radian and H2 both #5's, place the tips on the (carpeted) floor and flex them next to one another, you get an illustrative view of their flex profiles. Naturally, any rod must flex under load, it is the relative amount, how deeply and when casting the speed of recovery that determines the rods performance traits.
Old 08-21-2014, 07:22 PM

billyspey has a spectacular aura aboutbillyspey has a spectacular aura about

I like the Gold on my 9 ft 5 wt Radian .
Old 08-21-2014, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glacierjohn View Post
My perception casting my Radian is that it is a fast action rod that flexes as you describe, so I was surprised when my buddy sent me a pic he took of me fishing out of the bow of my boat earlier this summer. He caught me just as I was powering into my front cast on a 40-50' cast. The pic shows the rod bending slightly all the way into the grip. I'll try to post the pic.

Edit:not a lot of bend, but a shallow bend into the grip. My G series would have a lot more bend.
Here's the pick...
Click the image to open in full size.