Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By darwin
  • 2 Post By jaybo41
  • 1 Post By johnstoeckel
  • 1 Post By old timer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2015, 02:14 PM

nick29692 will become famous soon enough
Default How often should I clean my line?

Hey guys! Hope everybody is having a great week so far, it's been beautiful here in South Carolina! My question is on average how often do you clean your fly line? I have just gotten into the sport and have been practicing my casting in grass, and think it might be time to move on up to water. Just wanted to figure out if I needed to clean it after every trip out or every few trips or what? Thanks, Nick
Old 01-21-2015, 02:47 PM

darwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: How often should I clean my line?

It depends... every day out if the water is dirty, less often if your on clean waters. I try to wipe down every time I wet my line and do a good cleaning and dressing when I think the line needs it. A clean slick line is easier to cast.
fredaevans and nick29692 like this.
Old 01-21-2015, 03:38 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

I've fished 3-5 days before the line really needed a cleaning and I've days where I need to clean my line during fishing or as soon as I get a chance to. It really depends on where you are fishing. What I suggest is, give your line a cleaning and dress it so you have good slick line to fish with. When you find that it starts to underperform, it's probably time for another cleaning and dressing.

Oh, and be careful casting that line in the lawn, it can really do some damage if you're not careful. For this reason, I use an old line on an old cheap reel for practice casting. This way, you don't damage the good line you are fishing with. Also, make sure you are using a leader with some yarn tied in the end of it when lawn casting. It helps preserve the tip of your fly line and will help emulate having a leader and fly on your line.
chi flyfisher and nick29692 like this.
Old 01-21-2015, 05:01 PM

Thanks for the input guys I appreciate it!
Old 01-21-2015, 06:54 PM

johnstoeckel is on a distinguished road

I clean the first 30' or so of my line before every trip. I use one of the "no buffing" line cleaners like Fish Pimp Renew or ZipCast. Just put a drop or two on piece of cloth and pull your line through it. It cleans and treats your line in one step and you're ready to go immediately.
nick29692 likes this.
Old 01-21-2015, 06:56 PM

old timer is on a distinguished road

Once the season starts I fish everyday. I clean the line every 3 days.
nick29692 likes this.
Old 01-21-2015, 07:39 PM

Thanks guys I'll have to pick up some line cleaner this weekend and get it wet if the rain holds off!