The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2010, 09:33 PM

chi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to behold
Default Loomis Native Run 10' 8 wt.

Need to get line for a new Loomis Native Run. I generally fish Rio and Scientific Anglers on most of my rods. I have the Rio Indicator line on my 7 wt. Avid and it casts well.

I'm looking at either the Grand, Gold, or the Indicator. Will be nymphing or swinging flies on a Rio Sink Tip. What would your selection be for big water fly line?

Cheers,
Mike.
Old 08-09-2010, 11:14 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Loomis Native Run 10' 8 wt.

If I wanted one line to do a little of everything, I'd consider another line. The Rio Atlantic Salmon and Steelhead line would be a good fit for a big water line because it is a big water line. It has plenty of head mass to shoot larger bunny flies, and it has the longer belly to roll out some insane mends.

Since you have a fast rod, you may want upline to a WF9F to give you some extra mass to flip over a heavy indo-bobber/external weight/multiple fly rig. The extra mass should not effect the shooting ability of the rod.

MP
Old 08-10-2010, 08:09 AM

chi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Loomis Native Run 10' 8 wt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post
If I wanted one line to do a little of everything, I'd consider another line. The Rio Atlantic Salmon and Steelhead line would be a good fit for a big water line because it is a big water line. It has plenty of head mass to shoot larger bunny flies, and it has the longer belly to roll out some insane mends.

Since you have a fast rod, you may want upline to a WF9F to give you some extra mass to flip over a heavy indo-bobber/external weight/multiple fly rig. The extra mass should not effect the shooting ability of the rod.

MP
Thanks. One of the reasons I was considering the Grand is because it is supposed to be grained higher - like an 8.5 weight in lieu of an 8 weight.