Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By silver creek

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2015, 07:12 PM

captken is on a distinguished road
Default Cutting 11 wt fo use on 9wt

I have a new 11 wt floating shooting head that I'd like to cut to use on a 9wt rod. I know how to splice lines but am at a loss for how to much to cut off the back of the line. Can anybody give me a reasonable guess?

With the entire head out, the rod is overloaded. With the back of the taper at the reel, it feels right but all of the heavy line traveling through the guides is cutting my casting distance down.

I almost never cast over 50 feet and most of my fish are caught on casts of less than 40'. A very short shooting head might be a great advantage for me.
Old 08-05-2015, 09:06 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cutting 11 wt fo use on 9wt

Quote:
Originally Posted by captken View Post
I have a new 11 wt floating shooting head that I'd like to cut to use on a 9wt rod. I know how to splice lines but am at a loss for how to much to cut off the back of the line. Can anybody give me a reasonable guess?

With the entire head out, the rod is overloaded. With the back of the taper at the reel, it feels right but all of the heavy line traveling through the guides is cutting my casting distance down.

I almost never cast over 50 feet and most of my fish are caught on casts of less than 40'. A very short shooting head might be a great advantage for me.
Why can't you cut the line just inside the rod tip with the back taper at the reel and splice a running line at the cut. You are saying that the rod feels right with that amount of line out of the rod and it seems to be that is the length of head that you want.

Or am I missing something?
tcorfey likes this.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 08-05-2015, 09:40 PM

tcorfey is a jewel in the roughtcorfey is a jewel in the roughtcorfey is a jewel in the rough

I have done exactly what Silver suggests and it worked fine.

However, eventually I bought a Rio Outbound Short with an integrated running line for the recommended rod weight and that was better.
Old 08-06-2015, 04:12 AM

lake flyer is a jewel in the roughlake flyer is a jewel in the roughlake flyer is a jewel in the rough

Try cutting it at the rear taper and attach to a running line and try casting and cutting at the rear until you get it to a length that feels comfortable to cast.
Old 08-06-2015, 07:47 PM

captken is on a distinguished road

I am going to do a little more experimenting to see just how the rod "feels" with different amount of line out.

I've used this rod with a 9wt Outbound short and loved it. Unfortunately, the Rio line is badly mildewed (my fault) and no longer casts well. I haven't been able to get it totally clean.

Any suggestions for cleaning the Rio line? Rio suggested several of their products that aren't cheap.
Old 08-06-2015, 08:07 PM

tcorfey is a jewel in the roughtcorfey is a jewel in the roughtcorfey is a jewel in the rough

I use Dawn dishwashing liquid in a bucket to clean my lines. However I have never had a mildewed line before.