Line for a 10wt Method

lonm

Reaction score
So i got my Method in 10wt. This thing is an absolute cannon.
Was hoping you guys might have a suggestion for line. (so I dont have to drop 400 bucks trying different ones);)
It doesnt like the 10 wt floater I have, the Rio Pike 10 I got does Ok but I almost think I need to overline it more.
Would a 11wt Outbound Tropical be too much????

Thx yall

willyf

Reaction score
What are you fishing for? Hard to pick a line without knowing what kind of flies you'll be throwing and in what conditions.

lonm

Reaction score
Good point, primarily big pike flies. Hope it will see some salt action for permit, snook, reds n such.
Its windy more often than not.
Thanks

huronfly

Reaction score
Outbounds are already over-weighted so I would think the 10wt outbound should be fine. Works well on my 10wt TiCr X broomstick.

jgentile

Reaction score
Consider the Rio InTouch Big Nasty in a 10 That Method is one stout stick. Another consideration is the Rio Winter Redfish line. The head is shorter than the Big Nasty 35' vs. 40'. Some of the guy I work with at the shop have their freshwater 8wt. streamer sticks strung up with this to launch big meat to browns here in MO and AR.

Look like you're headed quickly to $400.00 worth of fly lines!!!

lonm

Reaction score
Thanks all, I've been looking at the big nasty but like the idea of a shorter head, thinking it might make shorter cast better.
I found a deal on a 11wt outbound tropical line.
Anyone think this will be too much weight?

jr spey

Reaction score
The current Rio Outbound Short Tropical is 465gr. That's right about at the upper limit of what that rod will handle. It will likely work fine for throwing big pike flies, although the tropical finish might make the line tough to handle in cool weather/water. Permit, snook, and reds would probably suggest a different line in most situations, although I've used an Outbound Short for reds in Louisiana. I've heard good things about the Rio Quickshooter lines. I haven't fished them, but they've been getting good reviews from guys who do.

lonm

Reaction score
The current Rio Outbound Short Tropical is 465gr. That's right about at the upper limit of what that rod will handle. It will likely work fine for throwing big pike flies, although the tropical finish might make the line tough to handle in cool weather/water. Permit, snook, and reds would probably suggest a different line in most situations, although I've used an Outbound Short for reds in Louisiana. I've heard good things about the Rio Quickshooter lines. I haven't fished them, but they've been getting good reviews from guys who do.
Thanks, that helps.