The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2017, 09:58 AM

lanai is on a distinguished road
Default Backing

I have two spools of medium length backing that if joined would be the perfect length for my fly reel. Is it okay to join two lengths of backing and if so, what would be the best knot for that?
Old 04-21-2017, 10:01 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Backing

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanai View Post
, what would be the best knot for that?
dennyk likes this.
Old 04-21-2017, 10:07 AM

tcorfey has a brilliant futuretcorfey has a brilliant futuretcorfey has a brilliant futuretcorfey has a brilliant futuretcorfey has a brilliant futuretcorfey has a brilliant futuretcorfey has a brilliant futuretcorfey has a brilliant futuretcorfey has a brilliant futuretcorfey has a brilliant futuretcorfey has a brilliant future

I personally use a six turn blood knot. Never had an issue.
Old 04-21-2017, 10:18 AM

mike_r is a jewel in the roughmike_r is a jewel in the roughmike_r is a jewel in the roughmike_r is a jewel in the rough
Default Backing

2nd Blood Knot. Works best joining same type materials ie. dacron to dacron of similar diameters. Don't think I would advise if tying dacron to say, gelspun backing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
fredaevans likes this.
Old 04-21-2017, 10:21 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

The amount of backing on your reel is grossly over rated (save to fill it up). Depending upon the fly line it will be 90 to 120 (you can get spey lines up to 150 feet out of the UK) feet .... well leave running down a set of rapids out of this, never got close to the 'knot?'

I can only think of a couple of times .... King Salmon ... no contest as I streight lined and broke him off. Unless I wanted to go for a heck of a swim (which I did once) it's 'game over.'

fae
Old 04-21-2017, 02:34 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanai View Post
I have two spools of medium length backing that if joined would be the perfect length for my fly reel. Is it okay to join two lengths of backing and if so, what would be the best knot for that?
I think the blood knot is the best since it is inline and small so it will go through the guides easily.

Don't worry so much about he strength of the knot. Any backing knot will be a lot stronger than the breaking strength of the tippet or the tippet to fly knot. So the tippet will break off before the backing knot will.
fredaevans and karstopo like this.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 04-25-2017, 02:23 AM

karstopo is a splendid one to beholdkarstopo is a splendid one to beholdkarstopo is a splendid one to beholdkarstopo is a splendid one to beholdkarstopo is a splendid one to beholdkarstopo is a splendid one to behold

https://loonoutdoors.com/product/uv-knot-sense/

You could always put a little of the above on the knot to smooth it out and add a bit of insurance against failure.
Old 04-25-2017, 10:25 AM

sweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond repute

I too would and have, for the same size and type backing, employ a 6 or 7 turn (on each side) Blood Knot. Just make sure it is symmetrical with no over lapping coils and full seated...try to break it by hand as a test.

Fred, You are no doubt correct that most of us rarely see very much of our backing. But that "insurance" is not its sole reason for being maximized. Properly loaded with backing, a reels arbor circumference is enlarged (whether conventional of large arbor to begin with) increasing the rate of line retrieval and reducing the propensity for stored line coiling.
Old 04-25-2017, 10:37 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
I too would and have, for the same size and type backing, employ a 6 or 7 turn (on each side) Blood Knot. Just make sure it is symmetrical with no over lapping coils and full seated...try to break it by hand as a test.

Fred, You are no doubt correct that most of us rarely see very much of our backing. But that "insurance" is not its sole reason for being maximized. Properly loaded with backing, a reels arbor circumference is enlarged (whether conventional of large arbor to begin with) increasing the rate of line retrieval and reducing the propensity for stored line coiling.
Exactly my point(s) as to 'fill it up.'

---------- Post added at 08:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:31 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post

Exactly my point(s) as to 'fill it up.' general 'rule of the thump is to within a 1/4 inch of the reels rim.
sweetandsalt and flytie09 like this.
Old 05-20-2017, 06:45 AM

dynaflow will become famous soon enoughdynaflow will become famous soon enough

I never join backing...ever