The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2010, 05:35 AM

jamieof has a spectacular aura aboutjamieof has a spectacular aura aboutjamieof has a spectacular aura about
Default Fluoro Vs. Mono For Leaders / Tippets

There have been a few threads regarding Fluorocarbon Vs. Monafiliment, with most comments being towards cost and sink rate.

I've been doing some thinking and am actually considering spooling my spinning reel with Fluoro next year.

From what I see with regards to fly fishing, the advantages for Fluoro are; less water absorption, nearly invisible underwater, holds strength longer and is less affected by wear and tear and the elements.

The only disadvantage maybe is cost, which is probably minimal unless you're really abusing your leaders and tippets. (Take into account I don't know the cost of a reel of Fluoro tippet or a leader of the same material, but I'm guessing it's only a buck or 2.)

The one question I have in my mind is how sink rate (higher in Fluoro) affects fishing with a dry fly. Obviously with wet fly fishing it's another advantage.

Would that tiny piece of line really effect how a dry fly acts / floats? If it is significant, could that be overcome with the application of a little fly dressing to the line?

I'm looking forward to an interesting discussion here.

Jamie.
Old 08-20-2010, 08:57 AM

randyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to all
Default Re: Fluoro Vs. Mono For Leaders / Tippets

I now use mostly flouro when fishing dry flies. Unless the fly is real small I don't think flouro will affect how it floats.

Randy
Old 08-20-2010, 12:50 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

One disadvantage not mention is that fluoro simply does not break down. It has the half-life of the planet Earth and the flouro you throw away today will still be around when your great grandkids get married.
It can play heck on our environment. I can't imagine how nasty it would be if every ball of mono I see streamside was flouro. I ain't for sure your kids and their kids will appreciate seeing it.
'Jes sayin'
Old 08-20-2010, 01:15 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

When I lived in the North East I fished 75% spring creeks and 25% freestone streams. I used the same mono type leaders for years and when fluoro came around I began to use it for my tippets. The material offered a higher tinsel & torsion break strength than mono while maintaining the same diameter. This quality alone was enough to get me tipping my leaders with the new material. My logic was simple, if I could fool fish with 6 or 7X maxima with a break strength of 2.5 to 1.0 lbs changing to a tippet that offered the same diameter but a break point of 2.5 - 4 lbs meant I could reel a fish in quicker. Faster landing of hooked trout equaled more fish caught in a given period of time.

I switched to using level leaders of 8 - 12 pound test for my streamer fishing because of the same features of the materials, stronger line at a smaller diameter than mono. Hooking a big brown trout on 12 lb leader that I had carefully tested my knots on gave me a high level of confidence while playing the fish. While there were some large specimens that indeed broke the knot while I was trying to beach them I believe the fluorocarbon lines were good for my over all success rate. I use this same material while fishing here in Alaska for all but the biggest fish on the big flies and for those I use maxima green in 25 lb test.

As for tipping with the stuff; watch those blood knots, test them well because you are joining two different materials. With time I grew confident of my knots but in the beginning many broke while I was testing them. I used the Orvis knot for attaching flies regardless of what kind or size.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 08-20-2010, 01:26 PM

jamieof has a spectacular aura aboutjamieof has a spectacular aura aboutjamieof has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackster View Post
One disadvantage not mention is that fluoro simply does not break down. It has the half-life of the planet Earth and the flouro you throw away today will still be around when your great grandkids get married.>>>>SNIP
Very good point Jackster. As much as it P's me off to see garbage in the woods (especially of the aluminium and plastic kind) I agree with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
SNIP<<<
As for tipping with the stuff; watch those blood knots, test them well because you are joining two different materials. With time I grew confident of my knots but in the beginning many broke while I was testing them. I used the Orvis knot for attaching flies regardless of what kind or size.
Thanks Hardy.

The Orvis Knot is one I didn't know existed and may now become a standard for me.

As for attaching the tippet to the leader, normally I use a Double Surgeon's Knot, but see there's an Orvis for that purpose for that too. Any thoughts on either knot for leader to tippet?

Jamie.
Old 08-20-2010, 01:38 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute

Jamie,

I have never used anything but a blood knot for connecting leader sections. My knot tying list is short.

1. Leader butt to fly line connector = perfection loop.
2. Leader sections = blood knots for all.
3. Tippet / leader to fly = Orvis knot with three passes through the open loop for all knots.

Old 08-21-2010, 01:48 AM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold
Question Re: Fluoro Vs. Mono For Leaders / Tippets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Jamie,

I have never used anything but a blood knot for connecting leader sections. My knot tying list is short.

1. Leader butt to fly line connector = perfection loop.
2. Leader sections = blood knots for all.
3. Tippet / leader to fly = Orvis knot with three passes through the open loop for all knots.
Ard,

Considering your good point that knots connecting different materials are more failure-prone, do you use a blood knot in connecting your mono leader section to the fluoro tippet?
Old 08-21-2010, 01:26 PM
Administrator

Hi Neal,

Yes I do, sometimes when using really fine tippet I put an extra wrap on the side of the knot with the fluorocarbon. It seems to slip a bit more when tightening the knot.

Ard

Old 08-21-2010, 03:44 PM

Red Owl has a spectacular aura aboutRed Owl has a spectacular aura about

How does a double surgeon's knot work in putting a flourocarbon tippet on a mono leader?
Old 08-21-2010, 05:03 PM
Administrator

Hi Red Owl,

I figure that any knot will work, even a double square knot. The blood knot is what I was taught way back there in the years and I have never saw any reason to try something else. When tied properly it gives a nearly perfect alignment of the sections and is as strong as the materials will allow. Learning the knot (I don't use any tool) is just like everything else about fly fishing, you must be determined to get good at it. There are multitudes of variations for doing things differently than the ways that I learned but I have virtually no expertise outside of my own practices. If you currently use something other than the old blood knot and it's working for you I would do like I do and stay the course.

Ard