The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2010, 12:18 PM

rjackh is on a distinguished road
Default how does each part of the taper affect line behavior?

I started looking at redfish line for a new setup and got me wondering, what do the different parts of the taper do to the castability of the line? how will these lines behave differently?

for example, sa's redfish line specs:
Tip Front Taper Belly Rear Taper Running Line Head Length
0.5' 4.0' 21.0' 5.0' 70.0' 30.0'

airflo tropical ridge bonefish/redfish specs:
Tip Front Taper Belly Rear Taper Running Line
0.5' 6' 24' 8' 61.5'

Cortland Precision Tropic Plus Redfish specs:
Tip Front Taper Belly Rear Taper Running Line Grains
1' 3' 18' 6' 62' 210
Old 08-22-2010, 12:47 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: how does each part of the taper affect line behavior?

Transfer of energy. In a normal cast, the heaviest part of the line will be the first into the forward cast, this 'pulls' the lighter (and tapering down) balance of the line along with it.

Over simplified, but that's about it.

fae
Old 08-22-2010, 12:49 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Jack,

Are you looking for more distance or are you having turn over problems? What I write below is just my general take on a wide range of thoughts when it comes to todays huge selection of lines.

By now you may have figured out that I'm pretty set in my ways. When ever I walk the path through the jungle of manufacturers and marketers I keep an eye on what has been working for years and watch out for traps. I have never fished for redfish but I do a little surf fishing every year and I use the same lines that are on the rods for river fishing. Looking at the SA & Airflo specs I can't imagine them preforming very differently. If the caster were digitally recorded and then the two videos were superimposed over one another the computer generated results may show some difference in the way the lines unfurl but this (for me) wouldn't prove too much. I would have to assume that the caster was perfect in exerting the same line speed and delivery with the different lines and therein lies the problem.

When we are talking about casting a fly line some things do matter. For instance greater distances may be achieved when using heavier lines and rods to deliver flies of a certain payload range. Tapers such as WF may deliver better shooting capabilities when used by casters who are adept at double haul casts and shooting the line. The use of a stripping basket will even the playing field for the guy who is using the DT line and his shooting ability will go up because of the free line in the basket. This discussion can of course go on and on.

My take on lines is that I would not trouble myself wondering if one with a rear taper 3 feet longer than another would improve my cast or its distance. Since I am stubborn I would fish with what ever line I currently own and continue to do so until I found that each time out I caught nothing while all those around me were killing them because they had one of the specialized fly lines. The only time I have ever had this experience the issue was that I needed to adapt to using Hi Density sinking tips and tungsten leaders in order to achieve the proper depth to reach the fish. If you run into depth problems then you've gotta change your system but for general casting with floating lines I don't get caught up in hair splitting.

I know that what I say smacks of opinion laced bullheadedness but I have found it to be true for too many years to ignore it.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 08-22-2010, 11:20 PM

rjackh is on a distinguished road

i would love to be able to increase my distance, then i would be able to cast to fish farther away, meaning im less likely to spook them with a misplaced footstep when wading etc. i also want a line that can turn over wind resistant flies easily. the few reviews i have read say that the sa redfish line is a great all around line for redfish but is not exactly a distance line. the airflo has another 8.5' of taper on it, will this help increase distance? i also want to be accurate, but i guess that comes with practice, not with choice of line.
Old 08-23-2010, 08:45 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

I'd marry the line to the rod. Try casting each line if you can. It might like a certain line. (Now I think I'm beginning to sound like a broken record) And hate the others. It might be worth your while.
Old 08-23-2010, 09:37 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sounding like a broken record because I keep mentioning the term "delivery system." The rod and line is that. A rod with a short head heavy line will throw bulky popper fairly easily in short to medium distances. A rod with a longer and slender head won't throw out that same fly well at all, but it will throw a sparse bonefish fly 80 feet easily.

You could look at a Rio Tropical Clouser Taper. It has some extra mass in the head for turning over larger flies. It also has a longer and slender rear body for aerodynamics.

Just another thought. Get help with your casting. Subtle corrections could make a difference in your distance casting.

MP