The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2010, 12:27 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Umpqua Tippet Question....

I ran out of 3X tippet (actually, it fell out of my vest pocket!), and bought a couple of spools of Umpqua 3X tippet yesterday. When I got home, I pulled a couple feet off the spool, and it micro-kinky...??? A couple of passes through my fingers pulled the kinks out, but I've never seen anything like that. The second spool was kinky as well, but also straightened out with a few passes. Does anyone use Umpqua tippet? I've used Umpqua leaders, and never saw anything like that, but this is my first experience with their tippet.
Old 08-22-2010, 12:41 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Umpqua Tippet Question....

That is VERY ODD; I'd consider taking the spools back for replacement. Sounds like the leader material (somehow?) got twisted as it was being spooled.

No clue how this could happen as Umpqua make millions of these spools up every year. Often wondered why they addopted that Oregon based name, for a business located in Louisville, Colorado.
Old 08-22-2010, 01:01 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

That's all that I use Frank. That is what was available when I started and I continued since the spools lock together. The same thing happens to my tippet at times when tightening a knot. I thought it was me or maybe normal.
Old 08-22-2010, 01:08 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi Frank,

Never had that happen, do they still have the little elastic yarn-like keeper on the spools? The only thing I can think of is the spools are old and the keeper has created some memory in the material. Is it mono or fluoro? I have both in 6 & 7X and don't see any micro kinks.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 08-22-2010, 02:01 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

This is mono, Ard. The tippet does become perfectly straight if passed though the fingertips a couple times, and holds a knot well. I usually Rio, but the Umpqua spools are much smaller, and fit in my smaller vest pockets. I used Orvis leader material prior to Rio, and they fit in my pockets just dandy. The Rio spools have fallen out of the larger pockets before, but I've always been able to scoop them up. Note to manufacturers: make tippet spools smaller as diameter gets smaller. I can see .023" leader material on a larger spool, but 3X-7X should get an easy to carry spool size.

Last edited by FrankB2; 09-01-2011 at 06:41 AM.
Old 08-22-2010, 03:50 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi FrankB2,

I have never had that problem with Umpqua tippet material but I have not used it for a while. My favorite is Frog Hair tippet and leaders. They are not the cheapest but to me they are worth the extra money. Some of the packs are handy.

Frank

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 08-22-2010, 05:03 PM

Hi Frank,
I've heard good things about Frog Hair. Before starting this thread, I Googled around for some info on tippet. One blogger wrote that he mic'd a few different brands of tippet material, and Orvis was the only brand that had an actual diameter than matched the stated diameter. I noticed that Rio is clearly thicker than Umpqua, but haven't compared either to Orvis. I have mixed brands before, but would rather keep the mix closer to the butt section, especially when adding tippet to a knotless leader. My leaders were always made from Orvis material, but we moved away from the Orvis shop 4 years ago......
Old 08-22-2010, 09:46 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

Hi Frank W. & FrankB2 (lots of Franks here, frankly speaking),

I'm also a big fan of Froghair, but I'm hearing that they're discontinuing it. Have you all heard anything about this? If it's true, then I'd like to stock up on Froghair, that's how positive I think of it. They, like most tippet manufacturers, have a "use by" date, although I've never found mono leaders/tippet to lose their strength or flexibility due to age. What's your feeling about shelf life of fluoro, and do you have an equally-high opinion of Froghair fluoro as you apparently do of their mono?

Cheers,
Neil
Old 08-23-2010, 12:50 PM

boser has a spectacular aura aboutboser has a spectacular aura aboutboser has a spectacular aura about

I switched to Orvis Super Strength for that very reason. Umpqua was kinking on me. Bass Pro Shops finally started carrying the Orvis Super Strength so I dont have to order it online any longer.

Sweet, Boser