The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2010, 02:58 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: sharkskin Line- good/bad

I remember talking with Bruce Richards, the former Scientific Anglers lead designer about guide wear. SA has a machine that tests guide wear with fly lines. There was just as much wear on the guides with Sharkskin as a standard finished line meaning the wear was very insignificant.

I have put over 50 fishing days with a Sharkskin GPX on my 5 weight. So far no line burns on the guides.

That rod also saw about 10 fishing days with a Sharkskin Ultimate Trout Taper when the line first was released. I had to retire that line early. Sharp rocks and fly lines don't mix.

MP

Edit: You can use Stripee finger guards, or you can tape up your fingers with athletic tape. I usually wrap my fingers up. I don't have issues with the line catching on both items.

Last edited by MoscaPescador; 08-25-2010 at 12:56 PM. Reason: added something
Old 08-25-2010, 06:32 AM

Tajue17 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by kglissmeyer1 View Post
Does anyone know of any good buys on Sharkskin lines?

Kelly.

check any LL Bean "Outlet" stores if you have any around OR if they have an outlet website check that but I got the GPX in 5 weight brandnew for 30.00 and i couldn't find a thing wrong with it and think it was there for the box not looking so good but the LLbean outlet in Maine near the white mtns had a bunch,, its a 200 miles from me ohterwise I'd go back and buy them all up and pass on the deal.
Old 08-25-2010, 12:25 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tajue17 View Post
have any of you used a stripper sleeve on your finger,,, curious if it catches on that material.
I frequently fish a WF6F SS Magnum line with a stripper sleeve. It catches velcro like a champ, but the SS line passes over it well. I've got an old stripping guard glove from Waterworks that actually has a better material for the stripping guard, but I don't use it as much because the suede palm gets soggy.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 08-25-2010, 12:39 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

I cast a Sharkskin Trout taper when they first came out, and it was fine. Lines are getting to be awfully expensive, so I decided not to buy it. As Mosca pointed out, lines can be smoked pretty quickly.

Last edited by FrankB2; 09-01-2011 at 06:40 AM.
Old 08-25-2010, 10:20 PM

wonderfulremark is on a distinguished road

I just put a Sharkskin Ultimate Trout line on my 4wt. It casts very nice and is very delicate. Good for dry fly fishin!!
Old 08-26-2010, 12:08 PM

Tajue17 will become famous soon enough

Frank I bought the GPX sharkskin , SI quad tip in 7#, SI striper floating in 10#, and SI trout in 4# all brandnew for a 90 bucks! plus got a brandnew 50 dollar simms backsaver belt for 15.00, a pair of fleece fingerless simms gloves for 20.00, and a wool vest I'll use for hunting..

check this out they also had 6 Sage XI2's in 14# brandnew ( I could not find a thing wrong or any sign of use) for 275.00 each!!!!! remember the 14#'s have the forward grip and are perfect for small tuna -- if I wasn't there on vacation with my family I would of spent triple that.

they also had a bunch of brandnew Tibor backcountry reels (and the next size down reels) w/ extra spools for 1/3 of the regualr price!!!!!

LL Bean outlet store,,, you cannot just drive by anymore!!

as for my original question I went ahead and ordered the 10# Sharkskin floating with the magnum traper, the 10# sharkskin floating with the sinking clear tip, & the 350gr sharklskin streamer express,,,, I'm going to try my TCX 9# with this line and wanted to overline it to 10# which works for friends so I'll make a post back here on what I think overall of the lines just in case someone does a search in the future. friends said duct tape or electrical tape that they leave already around the fighting grip in the back works perfect for the fingers if they get into alot of fish.