The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2010, 12:28 PM

Tajue17 will become famous soon enough
Default sharkskin Line- good/bad

have any of you heard if the sharkskin line is burning grooves in some guides? I have some 5# sharkskin which i like how it casts and I want to try some of the new 350gr streamer express for stripers/blues/albies but I don't want to mess my rods up..

send links or let me know even if you just heard something.. thanks for any info,,Taj in Mass
Old 08-23-2010, 01:49 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: sharkskin Line- good/bad

Our Sharkskin guy is mojo, I don't own any but come to think of it probably wouldn't use one on any of my old rods that have old fashioned wire guides. I would think the new guides on modern rods will handle it.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 08-23-2010, 04:54 PM

driftless will become famous soon enoughdriftless will become famous soon enough

Tajue,
I am not sure if the line will damage guides. I have a sharkslin on a 5wt also. I do know hat it will wear a groove into your fingers if you strip streamers for any length of time!
Old 08-23-2010, 06:40 PM

yeah I'm hearing of some finger problems with it but honestly even dacron has cut my fingers up.. anyway I bought some sharkskin 5# at LL beans outlet store for 30.00 brandnew and I was amazed at how effortless it casted using such a lighter stroke I over casted into the bushes many times on the stream (swift river in Mass)

anyway now i notice they have a intermediate and a fast sinking line in the sharkskin but I use the TCX and I already know sage takes 2 months to the day to fix it (smashed the tip off with a clouser ) and I really don't want to get into messing it up anymore if I can help it.

I did bump into a guy in the vineyard who loved it on his 9# and didn't know of any problems but I was hoping there where a few people using it,, I guess I'll have to go for it and hope for the best.

thanks for the posts
Old 08-23-2010, 07:39 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Damn good. If it wears out your guides then your fishing too much.
Hard chrome guides will last years.
I think the urban myth was perpetuated by XXX Fly Line Company and others.
If SS has "scales" then only a little bit is touching the guides.
Put on your old trusty Cortland Peach and drag it through the guides and tell yourself how much of THAT line is touching the guides.
The stuff floats like no other, you false cast less because it shoots farther.
And so your fly is on the water more.
I've got some that's now two years old and it's like it came out of the box. SA says it's self cleaning, but I still clean it. 5 years from now, I'll probably have the same line and ask me at that time.
As for stripping streamers all day, I don't care if what you fish with, your skin is constantly wet, any line you use will put the hurt on your digits. Being a service technician for a large construction rental company for the last 31 years, my hands aren't model hands like George Costanza's. So I don't notice it.
Old 08-23-2010, 07:42 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

I use Sharkskin extensively on my 5 weight rods. It is simply amazing technology.
I will say that I've had it cut my finger when a stripped it through the soft skin that is found in the crease of most normal human being's fingers. When I alternated the stripping area's on my hands the cutting stopped.
In testing a new rod and the new (at the time) Sharkin line at a fly fishing show few years ago, over the two days we used the brand new rod we noticed definate divots in the epoxy made by the Sharkskin line (the only line the rod was ever strung up with)

That's all I know about that!
Old 08-24-2010, 09:40 AM

okay I'm going to get it I'll get the saltwater floating, intermediate and the shooting taper quick sink,, I have to use 3 spools for whatever situation I'll encounter fishing the New England coast..

have any of you used a stripper sleeve on your finger,,, curious if it catches on that material.
Old 08-24-2010, 12:05 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Good question. I use them because all lines get to being like squeaky in my fingers during the summer or warmer months at times. I haven't noticed any snagging so to speak.
But then the line doesn't bother my fingers without the guards.
Old 08-24-2010, 12:11 PM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute

Does anyone know of any good buys on Sharkskin lines?

Kelly.
Old 08-24-2010, 12:45 PM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by kglissmeyer1 View Post
Does anyone know of any good buys on Sharkskin lines?

Kelly.

Ebay for $70 is the best I have seen.