The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2010, 06:51 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs down Don't I wish!

As a 2-hander aficionado ... I'd love to be able to buy a fly line for under $100.00. Lots of new one's coming out in the market over the past year ... with an average price of $125.00 to $140.00 a pop.
Old 09-04-2010, 02:15 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best of the "60" dollar lines

MP provided solid information on the various line types. It can make a significant difference in the rod feel. I just went through this myself. I had a rod that was lined with Rio Grand, Medium Fast action and it really slowed the rod down. I switched to the LT and found a significant improvement. As you can tell I'm a Rio fan. I've tried Cortand, Orvis, SA and Rio seems to fit my needs the best. Nothing wrong with any of them, just go with a line that suits your rod action and casting style best.

I too have been hearing great things about Allen line , for the price it's hard to argue with. For that matter all of their products have been getting great reviews. A guy I've fished with has an Allen reel and he loves it. I was blown away at the appearance and quality for the price. If you are looking for a light weight reel, it's probably not the way to go as I thought it was of average or normal reel weight, but a nice reel to say the very least.

Hook & Hackle line I believe is made by Cortland, I know lots of guys from my area fish this and they are very pleased with it.
Old 09-05-2010, 12:25 AM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold

I bought some Rio Selective Trout WF 6wt line for 25 bucks on Ebay from Bear's Den. I bought it to go on my new Allen XL 5/6wt reel. I hope that that size of line works, and that I didn't really need a 7wt line. Oh well, time will tell. I got the new line in today. I was gonna spool it all up, and then I realized I have no backing left here, when I thought I did. I think this line I got normally runs close to sixty dollars.
Old 09-05-2010, 03:29 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Kel,

The Selective Trout line has since been replaced by the Trout LT line. I'm not sure what the differences are, but they are likely very subtle. None the less if it's NIB, it's a great find!

I'd say the line size is ideal for the Allen Reel, the bigger question is what is the action on the rod you intend to fish it with? Better yet, what type of rod and model are you intending on pairing this up with?
Old 09-05-2010, 04:00 PM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold

I am going to pair it up with an Albright GP rod.
Old 09-07-2010, 09:43 AM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute

My son just spooled up his new Allen line in a 5wt WF Floater for his 4wt rod and tried it out this weekend. He was extremely impressed at how the line performed as well as how well it floated.

Kelly.
Old 09-07-2010, 10:44 AM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice

One more for the allen fly lines I have 2 of them one a 6 wt and the other a 4 wt. Justin is great to deal with. I first 4wt I received was running line from tip to but, I contacted Justin and within a few days I had a new one.

I have owned popular reels that cost $400 and the Allen Reels I own are better then any of them. IMO if I were you I would really rethink that purchase of that Cabela's reel and purchase one of the Allen Reels.
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.
Old 09-07-2010, 01:16 PM

greatcanadian is on a distinguished road

Another thumbs up for Allen lines. I currently have an 8 weight WFF. As I stated in another post, there is no way I will ever pony up 40, 50, or 60 bucks for fly line again. I also have Cortland 444 classic on my other 8 weight (it is a new line I had before I'd known about Allen) and there is no way it is worth the 60 bucks I paid for it when compared to the Allen line. I just ordered another Allen line (6 weight)...and ordered an Allen reel while I was at it!! The Allen lines are certainly more than satisfactory for me. The big name line companies will NEVER again get a penny from me. I won't recommend the Allen reel yet, as I haven't received it and have never used it. But I expect to be quite satisfied.
Old 09-07-2010, 01:48 PM

ssjchar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatcanadian View Post
Another thumbs up for Allen lines. I currently have an 8 weight WFF. As I stated in another post, there is no way I will ever pony up 40, 50, or 60 bucks for fly line again. I also have Cortland 444 classic on my other 8 weight (it is a new line I had before I'd known about Allen) and there is no way it is worth the 60 bucks I paid for it when compared to the Allen line. I just ordered another Allen line (6 weight)...and ordered an Allen reel while I was at it!! The Allen lines are certainly more than satisfactory for me. The big name line companies will NEVER again get a penny from me. I won't recommend the Allen reel yet, as I haven't received it and have never used it. But I expect to be quite satisfied.
Hey Greatcanadian, how much was shipping for your Allen lines(assuming you're currently residing in Canada)? I recently bought 2 rio lines so I won't be needing any more lines anytime soon, but I'm still pretty curious.
Old 09-07-2010, 02:27 PM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute

My son paid $9.50 for his line and with shipping it came in at under $11 bucks.

Kelly.