The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2010, 11:22 AM

hcampbell is on a distinguished road
Default Best of the "60" dollar lines

I'm looking at getting some new line soon. Mine is just getting old, and its lesser quaility is starting to limit my casting ability. My rod is a 5wt though the line i have on it now is actually a 6wt so i might just get 6wt. I've already decided on a Cabelas Three Forks reel, it was cheap so i could get a more expensive line. So far i've looked at scientific angler mastery trout taper. Any other lines comparable price and performance wise?
Thanks for the opinions.
Old 08-26-2010, 11:42 AM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best of the "60" dollar lines

Look at the Allen Fly Lines available through this site. Justin has good products. I just picked up a nice 5wt WF floater for $10 bucks plus minimal shipping. You can go through a few of them before spending the $60 bucks on a premium line. Those who have used Justin's lines need to chime in here.
Just my $ .02 cents worth. Line prices have really gotten out of hand. I traded three dozen flies to an Orvis authorized guide for one of their newest and best floating fly lines that goes for $60 bucks. The welded loop on the terminal end gets stuck in the guides because it's so big, and, the tip still sinks when fishing it. I think the new ones are a bit overrated along with being overpriced. Give Allen fly lines a try, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at what you get for the money.

Send Justin an e-mail to get the NAFF discount he offers to members here. here is his site: Allen & Co., Fly Line

Kelly.
Old 08-26-2010, 11:58 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

The SA Supra is a great line for $49...but like Kelly said Justin's lines are great deals...
Old 08-26-2010, 12:11 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

If it were me, I'd probably get this one
New! - Hook & Hackle "Rise" Fly Line
Old 08-26-2010, 01:00 PM

the allen & Co. line looks like a good deal, and they have colors that the big brands don't have. I'll definitly consider it in my choices. Its really between that and the SA mastery i've heard the mastery is one of the best lines. I'll do some more research but at the price of the allen line i could get new line for my new reel and line for my old reel and still be well under the SA line.
Old 08-26-2010, 01:19 PM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute

I apologize for not answering your original query. If you're wanting to pay for the $60 line then I'd go with the RIO products.

Kelly.
Old 08-26-2010, 01:37 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Matching the line to the rod is very important. What rod do you have?

Here are some options.

Designed for fast action rods: Rio Grand, Scientific Anglers Mastery GPX
Presentation: Rio Trout LT, Scientific Anglers Mastery XPS, Airflo Supple Technical
General purpose: Rio Gold, Scientific Anglers Mastery Trout, Airflo Supple Tactical Trout

It reads like you have a rod that you wish to slow the action down if you are uplining. If you choose a Rio Grand or Scientific Anglers Mastery GPX, you shouldn't need to upline since the line is uplined by half a line size.

MP
Old 08-26-2010, 02:20 PM

my rod is custom built. Its a forecast blank i'm i'm sure its a full action rod. I only use the 6 wt line on it because my martin rod is a 6wt and when i built this rod i just switched the reel onto it and use it now. I'm really intrested in the Allen & Co. lines because they seem like high quality, and the reviews i've seen online make it sound like they are a great company.
Old 08-26-2010, 08:04 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

I concur with Kelly's recommendation for the Allen Fly Fishing lines, for that price how can you go wrong. I also have one of his trout reels, if your in the market they are hard to beat and if you send Justim a PM he offers forum members a pretty good discount on the reels.

Larry
Old 08-26-2010, 08:56 PM

i'll check out the discount but i'm really intrested in the cabelas reel. From the reviews it will handle all the fish i do and then some. And its only 24.99 thats a great price for a large arbor reel. The reels on Allen & Co do look realy nice though. They have a way more machined look wich is really cool.