The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2010, 02:14 PM

grousehunter49 is on a distinguished road
Default Line Tip Snaky (S)

I have a new Delta Taper 8/9 WF , The first 6ft or so lays on the water in 5or6coves, you know what I mean, I tryed stretching it no good, any way to strighten this? Flustrated.
Old 09-01-2010, 02:46 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: Line Tip Snaky (S)

Hi grousehunter49,

I am not too familiar with Ridge lines but here are a couple of ideas. Stretching is the normal fix for a woven nylon core. If you can't stretch the line it may have a different core material. I think I read somewhere that Ridge has a line that does not stretch. The only other thing to try is heat. The best way to apply that is with friction. Take a rag and rapidly rub the line through the rag applying pressure with your fingers. Do this while the area is under tension and see if it helps. Do short sections at a time. A heat gun can be used but it is a fast tract to a ruined line if you are not real, real careful. The friction method is much safer.

Of course it could be a defective line and a call to Ridge would be in order. Let us know how it works out.

Frank
Old 09-01-2010, 05:02 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Is it actual coils or soft S curves ??
I don't know anything about this line, but I'm just speculating that some amount of limpness may be built into the tip
Old 09-01-2010, 08:55 PM

grousehunter49 is on a distinguished road

Frank and Rip Tide; The line is very stretchy, It lays on the water in a twisted faction and some of the coils sink, To day was warm and sunny, I hooked the fly on a bush and pulled on it pretty good, kept it there in the sun, eased off slowly, let it touch the water, and be ----- the coils were still there, but it pulls stright on the water very easy, I haven,t tryed any drastic mesures yet. Will try friction.
Old 09-02-2010, 11:39 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi grousehunter49,

OK, that extra information helps. Hooking a fly to a bush and pulling is not going to stretch the line enough. You need some one on the other end and you pull the snot out of it. Or, at home you can put on a slipper than has a clean sole and take your line and put it under your foot and pull on both sides. You can stretch 6 to 8 feet of line at a time this way. Just keep adjusting more line under your foot until you have stretched as much of the line you will use. You can tell right away if it is working.

So to summarize. I don't think you are stretching the line enough. Modern fly lines are tough and you can apply a lot of pressure stretching it. Pulling on a bush won't do it.

Frank
Old 09-16-2010, 04:35 PM

crittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nice

I have used my Bumper Hitch or the Hooks on the front of my Tahoe to strech line in the parking lots. I will usually pull out 60' (30 each way) Pull it tight between both left and right hands and then lean slowly back. You can feel the strech at least 1 to 2 feet.

Sometimes it takes 2 or 3 sessions to remove the winter memory by doing this.

CritterGetter

PS.. I think I read this in Lefty's 100 tricks and tip book