The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2010, 09:14 AM

patyer is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Customer Service @ Scientific Anglers;

That's great to hear. I bought one of their lines last summer and this year the welded loop cracked and broke. I fixed it on my own but decided it wasn't something I felt like dealing with fixing again so I've been looking at a few other brands of line. Hearing this though sounds like they will take care of me should it happen again which is good because I've been curious to try the sharkskin line.
Old 09-07-2010, 09:34 AM

eldermike is on a distinguished road

It's good to hear customer service stuff. Line are expensive.

side note:
I am new here on the forum. I use SA lines. I did no know many people used those loops. I always cut them off right out of the box. I seal the ends with wicking Super glue and use nail knots only. On lines I have loops they are made up of 40lb mono about 4 inches long.
Old 09-07-2010, 02:53 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I hear you Mike,

I use 18" of Amnesia on all my salmon lines but this was a 15' type 6 sink tip for a Spey line. The loop broke while I was trying to free one of my precious flies from an evil underwater log (too deep for me to go after) and when I tried the Nail knot and Amnesia cure (on site) the sinking line seemed too soft and the nail knot just ripped the line when I would test the connection.

Being a resourceful type I threw a small perfection loop on it and it has held through perhaps 70+ more salmon and some trout. Rather than push my luck I put on the new 120 gr. tip and it is working fine.

[Note] As for obtaining service, my experience through the years has demonstrated that with most tackle manufactures the only block to getting excellent customer service is we often fail to contact the company and ask for help.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 09-08-2010, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
I hear you Mike,

I use 18" of Amnesia on all my salmon lines but this was a 15' type 6 sink tip for a Spey line. The loop broke while I was trying to free one of my precious flies from an evil underwater log (too deep for me to go after) and when I tried the Nail knot and Amnesia cure (on site) the sinking line seemed too soft and the nail knot just ripped the line when I would test the connection.

Being a resourceful type I threw a small perfection loop on it and it has held through perhaps 70+ more salmon and some trout. Rather than push my luck I put on the new 120 gr. tip and it is working fine.

[Note] As for obtaining service, my experience through the years has demonstrated that with most tackle manufactures the only block to getting excellent customer service is we often fail to contact the company and ask for help.
Good information, thanks.

You are correct about the nature of us fishing types, we tend to chalk up issues as experience and move on to some other product expecting a different result.
Old 09-15-2010, 11:32 PM

oregonsteel has a spectacular aura aboutoregonsteel has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
I made a post on a Spey fishing forum responding to a question about Scientific Anglers Fly Lines. I stated that I like all my lines and had only ever had one problem. I had a welded loop break this past spring on one of my sink tips. I mentioned this very matter of fact and not as a warning or a complaint.

I was surprised when I got a PM from a SA rep who read my post and he took my mailing address and three days ago a UPS truck pulled in the drive and the driver handed me an envelope. Inside the package were two new tips, a 120 grain type 4 and a 160 grain #4. It seems the company nor the rep could guess which I had broke so they sent both.

So if you were ever wondering what will happen if you have a problem with a SA line, there you have it! I think I own between 12 & 14 SA lines.

Ard
I have had 2 sharkskin lines loops break. One, after the loop broke I took it to a fly shop so they could professionally put on a but section. That broke off too! I told the rep, Jon Kovich about it, and he said to send it back but did not give any special treatment. I have NEVER had a problem with a rio loop.

Are you just a average retail buyer? Do you work at a fly shop? Do you have any relationship to the fly fishing industry? Any relationship to the rep?
Old 09-15-2010, 11:53 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Steel,

Nope, no relationship at all.................... However I am a Scorpio Really, it happened like I said, a rep saw my post and sent my story and address to 3M and they ponied up the new tips. I was surprised.

Ard

Old 09-16-2010, 03:23 AM

wonderfulremark is on a distinguished road

it seems as SA's loops aren't very durable, not just by my experience.. but so many of us have had the same problem... this ain't right...

maybe I should try RIO lines..
Old 09-16-2010, 07:51 AM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

I bought a SA GPX line a couple of years ago, and the coating had a thin spot about 15 feet from the tip. It covered the core, but the core could be seen through the coating. I called SA, and they asked for my phone number. The guy in charge of line production called me back not long after, and said
that he would send a new line out immediately. He also asked that I stuff the old line into an envelope, and mail it back (cheapest way possible) for examination. The new line arrived FEDEX in two days.
Old 09-16-2010, 08:23 AM

Quote:
I hear you Mike,

If you use 420 loctite (or any wicking type) on the end of the cut before you nail knot the line will not be soft at the tip. Just a suggestion.
Old 06-19-2011, 11:52 AM
Administrator

Default Solving The Problem;

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderfulremark View Post
it seems as SA's loops aren't very durable, not just by my experience.. but so many of us have had the same problem... this ain't right...

maybe I should try RIO lines..
Hi Mark,

I haven't had trouble with any of the regular DT type fly lines that came with the braided loop connector on the tip. My difficulty came with lines that have the 'welded loop' in vinyl at the tip. The line I had the first failure with was a multi tip line that came with 4 different tips from floating to extra fast sinking.

This spring I changed to a floating line, now these are Spey lines but the 120' floating line still had a welded loop on the tip. By the time I had hooked and struggled with one king the loop was noticeably cut by the mono leader butt that was looped through the vinyl tip loop. After returning to camp and giving some thought to the problem I faced I dug around in my tackle bag and made the connector pictured below. These are about 3.5" long and solve the problem. They are fairly easy to make from braided mono and will protect the welded loops while standing up to the mono butt that is attached to them.

[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]

I like this better than the idea of cutting off the welded loop and going to the nail knot. Since I put a connector like this on my line it has withstood the landing of 100 pounds of king salmon so I would say they are strong. The connector is step one of a complete custom leader that I built that day and I will photograph all of the components of that leader and post it soon.