The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2010, 12:33 AM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold
Default Gel Spun backing thoughts?

I need some backing. I have heard how great gel spun was, then I have heard negative things too. (such as knots, which is not my strong point) What is your opinion of it if you have tried it? Before I used 20 # Dacron. I guess if I go to gel spun I would need 35# backing for a 5/6 weight reel? Thanks in advance.
Old 09-05-2010, 02:34 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: Gel Spun backing thoughts?

Hi kelkay,

Power Pro works well but 35lb is not heavy enough. I would use 50lb. You don't need it for strength but for diameter. Power Pro is quite small in diameter and you need the 50lb in order to make it easier to handle. You should also realize that Spectra lines are not cheap compared to dacron or mono. Unless you are fishing for some really big fish with your 5/6 rod I don't think it is worth it and would use dacron.

Frank
Old 09-05-2010, 11:08 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

What Frank said. Stick with Dacron.

There are really two reel categories in which people are going to use GSP type backing. Big game saltwater is one. The reason for GSP backings is twofold. First these fish will can go on long runs. A Pacific Sailfish will take 100 yards of backing in a matter of seconds. Second it is important to keep a large diameter of backing to retrieve line in. With GSP being thinner, the diameter of backing is not effected by the loss of backing as that of Dacron being used. The other category is Spey. Big fat lines sometimes fill up reels with little capacity left for backing. I have a Bauer M5SL reel spooled with a 475 grain Rio Skagit Flight shooting head, 100 feet of of .024" floating running line, and 110 yards of GSP backing. If I used Dacron, I would only have about 50 yards on. I could go to a larger size reel, but I like how this setup balances on my 12'6" 6 weight Spey rod.

MP
Old 09-05-2010, 01:17 PM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold

I thought Power Pro made braid. I did not realize they made gel spun backing too. I just thought about the gel spun backing because I have a large arbor reel that I have Dacron on. I had to cut off part of my fly line to get it to fit. I thought it would be nice to get more backing on, and not take up so much reel space. With the Allen reel, I am not sure. I guess I could just go with the Dacron. I sure don't want any problems, or knots coming undone because I used gel spun, that was one of my biggest fears.
Old 09-05-2010, 02:41 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi kelkay,

You are correct, Power Pro is a Spectra Braid.

Frank
Old 09-05-2010, 03:24 PM

pszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to behold

I use a spectra braid as a connecting loop for my Tenkara lines. It is some tough stuff. It's hard to cut with regular scissors and it is very slippery when it comes to tying knots. As was already discussed, it's very small in diameter for it's relative strength.

Do you plan to have fish take you deep into your backing, or are you using it just to fill up your spool?

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Forum

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

"People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" - John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo