The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2010, 02:04 PM

arkman is on a distinguished road
Default Allen Line for Steelhead

I'm going steelhead fishing once this fall and I'm curious if what line I should get. I was planning on getting one of the Allen lines if possible.

We are heading to the brule river in wisconsin (I think) halloween weekend. I will be fishing with a 9' 9wt TFO Pro series rod (again, I think).

Would one of the Allen lines work ok?
Old 09-08-2010, 03:09 PM

boser has a spectacular aura aboutboser has a spectacular aura aboutboser has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Allen Line for Steelhead

ark, I have fished 3 wt , 5 wt and a little 7 wt Allen line and I have not had a problem at all....

The last line I recieved was the two colored line and I have to tell ya, it's a built in strike indicator...

I just know I've saved alot of money in lining my spools with Allens line. If there is a huge difference in the higher priced line I dont know what it would be

Regards, Boser
Old 09-08-2010, 03:26 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Allen is a new player on the block. That said, all their products are getting quite good reviews from folks who have their rods, reels, what-ever's.
fae
Old 09-08-2010, 09:06 PM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold

I was just out at Lee's Ferry for my first time, and my first time trying to fish a real river.

At the end of the day my buddy (Who uses nothing but Rio Gold) had rolled up his rod and was watching me try to catch "Just one more" and he said "Here, let me show you something" referring to my struggles with mending.

I handed him my rod that is loaded with Allen & Co 5 wt WF-F and and did a few casts and mends to give me some tips and then he said "This is that $14 line to bought?" I told him it was and he said "Wow, this stuff casts great".

Now I just knew that it was working fine for me, a fairly new Fly guy, but what do I know? To have a guy with lots of experience and a preference for fairly pricey line say good things about it has to actually mean something.
Old 09-12-2010, 06:24 PM

imxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of light

mudbug

how was the fishing in Marble Canyon ?

imxer
Old 09-12-2010, 08:04 PM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by imxer View Post
mudbug

how was the fishing in Marble Canyon ?

imxer

I got 3 and most likely got hit many more times that I didn't see (Noobism) with my biggest being a fiesty 12" footbal, my buddy picked up 12 with his biggest being about 15".

All of them were fighters, all of them shaped like footballs
Old 09-13-2010, 07:15 PM

imxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of light

mudbug

Sounds like you had a fine time. That canyon is a beautiful spot, isn't it?

Do yourself a favor and drop the so called "noobie" stuff. Every guy in this forum started out at one time or another. Enjoy yourself & welcome to the WONDERFUL world of fly fishing.

imxer