The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2010, 05:05 PM

kfisher99 is on a distinguished road
Default best fly line for steelhead?

hey, I am looking for a good floating line for my 8 wt to go after larger freshwater fish like adult steelhead, occasional king salmon, northern pike, largemouth bass, carp. etc. is there a floating line that will work for all of those? i was looking at: RIO Steelhead and Atlantic Salmon Fly Line can that work for for multiple species or just atlantic salmon/steelhead? i already have my sink tip line for this 8 wt on a seperate spool, i don't want more than 2 spools of line. thanks.
Old 09-21-2010, 06:40 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: best fly line for steelhead?

Hi Kfisher,

I use Scientific Anglers Mastery series DT lines on all single hand rods. The fish in my avatar were caught with DT line and every fish I have caught for many years on a single hand rod has been caught on DT lines. I like gray color if you can find them. The Cortland Lazer DT is a good line also if still available.

If you run into a huge price range between what I have mentioned and a specialty line I would opt for the old DT lines. Spend the extra dough on flies

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 09-21-2010, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Hi Kfisher,

I use Scientific Anglers Mastery series DT lines on all single hand rods. The fish in my avatar were caught with DT line and every fish I have caught for many years on a single hand rod has been caught on DT lines. I like gray color if you can find them. The Cortland Lazer DT is a good line also if still available.

If you run into a huge price range between what I have mentioned and a specialty line I would opt for the old DT lines. Spend the extra dough on flies

Ard
Thanks for the advice, I'm pretty new to fly fishing. Could you explain the difference in using douple tapered as opposed to wf?
Old 09-21-2010, 07:41 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Use this thread link, then scroll down to a post from Frank Whiton and you will see charts that will explain this for you. Dt lines are a little more user friendly, my opinion.

Fly Line Differance

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 09-21-2010, 08:57 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

The Rio Steelhead and Atlantic Salmon fly line is best suited for coldwater species in moving water. It is a long bellied line which means the head is longer than a traditional weight forward line but shorter than double taper line. This allows the line to shoot like weight forward line and mend like a double taper.

Is it the best floating line for salmon and steelhead? It's one of the better ones if not the best. The head has plenty mass to turn over steelhead and salmon flies. Keep in mind that these types of flies are not very wind resistant. The long belly helps push line around for roll casting indo-bobber/nymph rigs, as well, as mending.

Is it the best line for pike, bass, and carp? I would rather have a shorter heavier head for the large wind resistant pike and bass flies. I'm still trying to figure out the carp thing, so you may want to seek advice from someone who regularly targets them.

If I had a choice for your situation, I would choose either a Scientific Anglers GPX taper or a Rio Grand. Both are head heavy weight forward designs. That means that they are oversized by one half of a line weight. The extra mass will help throw wind resistant flies better. The medium length head will allow for better line control.

Are these lines perfect for your situation? Probably not, but they make for a good compromise.

MP
Old 09-27-2010, 11:53 PM

ok, i am going to go with the rio grand for the versatility