The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Fly Lines (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-lines/)
-   -   Sharkskin: Magnum/GPX/Steelhead taper? (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-lines/65024-sharkskin-magnum-gpx-steelhead-taper.html)

simms 10-26-2010 10:58 PM

Sharkskin: Magnum/GPX/Steelhead taper?

Hey guys,

I have been in love with the Wulff TT for a few years now. However, I need to try out this Sharkskin...

most of my fishing is high stick nymph fishing where line control and mending is CRUCIAL...

I love the GPX taper for the fact I can chuck indie rigs a mile, however not sure how it does with mending?

I have heard the steelhead taper is best for mending, however not much has been said about the MAGNUM taper? Looks as if its fine for mending, and can even shoot an indie rig farther than the GPX?

Please, all suggestions/opinions, and reviews welcome!!! thanks!!!

MoscaPescador 10-27-2010 12:32 AM

Re: Sharkskin: Magnum/GPX/Steelhead taper?

When choosing these lines, what is important on how far you want do drift your fly after it hits the water. GPX and Magnum lines are wonderful for delivering nymph rigs, then they can allow a short to moderate drift with good line control. The Steelhead taper is better for extended drifts. Its longer belly is much easier to manipulate to acheive that longer drift.

When I think high stick nymphing, I think shorter drifts. The GPX and Magnum are fine fits for that purpose.

If you are thinking of extended drifts (say 50+ feet of line out), I would get the Steelhead taper. On my Z-Axis 691-4, I use a WF7F Steelhead line. The extra mass helps turn over all the terminal junk.

As for the Magnum taper, I am not surprised that some like it over a GPX for indie fishing. It is designed to turn over bass bugs.

MP

BigCliff 10-27-2010 10:56 AM

I've fished the Magnum a good bit, and yes its pretty great at turning over big stuff.

But with it being a short bellied line, its not going to mend extremely well. The steelhead taper is roughly the same as the XXD/Distance line, and that's as good a line as I know of for mending and roll casting.

For mending at distance, I'd definitely pick the steelhead line.

simms 10-27-2010 02:34 PM

I am putting the SS on a 4wt Czech nymph rod. I believe the Steelhead line comes in 6wt+. So this option is out... :(

And thanks for the replies guys!!!! Keep 'em coming!

BigCliff 10-27-2010 05:19 PM

I don't think the Magnum is made below a 6wt either.

Here's what I'd get- Mastery Textured Series Nymph / Indicator - Mastery Textured Series - Lines

Mastery Textured is reputed to have most of the advantages of the sharkskin lines, but costs less and won't chew through your skin.

MacFly55 10-27-2010 05:45 PM

here is the MIDCURRENT article on the new SA Mastery series of lines .. they run about 80.00 versus the 100.00 for the sharkskin....

MacFly

MoscaPescador 10-27-2010 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by simms (Post 157973)
I am putting the SS on a 4wt Czech nymph rod. I believe the Steelhead line comes in 6wt+. So this option is out... :(

If you are planning on using the rod as a dedicated Czech nymph rod, all the line is just filler. It rarely touches the water. Just get yourself an inexpensive line.

If you are planning on using the rod as a multipurpose rod, the Sharkskin Ultimate Taper is a fine fit. It will nymph well because of the extended head.

MP

simms 10-28-2010 08:34 AM

MP,

Yes, the rod will be used as a czech nymph rod, however my dad will be cmoprised of casts out to 40-60 feet. I guess you could say I do CZECH NYMPH, however I do not abide by that strictkly...I do use an indie rig and like to reach out to some far runs often...