The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2009, 10:16 PM

Ken43 will become famous soon enoughKen43 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Does Scientific Anglers' Sharkskin Line Cause Excessive Guide Wear?

I have a friend who has been using the sharkskin this year. He really likes it, however, after a short time his fingers are bleeding, from striping the line through them. He tapes his fingers and that takes care of the problem. He said he hasn't seen any damage to his line guides.
Old 02-01-2009, 03:38 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Maybe I've been a mechanic for too many years for that to happen. Closest I've come to drawing blood was not paying attention when a fish hit and ran. But then again, I think the cut was cauterized instantly.
Old 02-01-2009, 11:49 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

I've had the crease of the first joint on my stripping finger cut by Sharkskin, but that was while fishing all day for bluegill at Callaway Gardens. The combination of stripping line all day through wet fingers, combined with the fact that the skin in most people finger joint creases is quite soft seemed to be the causes.
The remedy for me was to strip the line against against other parts of the finger.
As for guide wear, most quality rods have guides that are very resistant to wear but I have seen the epoxy around the guides worn from Sharkskin. This was at a three day show using a new rod and line.
Old 02-01-2009, 11:56 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackster View Post
I've had the crease of the first joint on my stripping finger cut by Sharkskin, but that was while fishing all day for bluegill at Callaway Gardens. The combination of stripping line all day through wet fingers, combined with the fact that the skin in most people finger joint creases is quite soft seemed to be the causes.
The remedy for me was to strip the line against against other parts of the finger.
As for guide wear, most quality rods have guides that are very resistant to wear but I have seen the epoxy around the guides worn from Sharkskin. This was at a three day show using a new rod and line.
Well nothing for me to worry about. I play bass, so the fingers are tuff, and I never use the same rod...LOL
Old 02-03-2009, 01:47 AM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

Sounds to me that there is something to Sharkskin not only wearing guides but also "wearing skin".
Old 02-18-2009, 10:48 AM

BigNick is on a distinguished road

<<As for guide wear, most quality rods have guides that are very resistant to wear but I have seen the epoxy around the guides worn from Sharkskin. This was at a three day show using a new rod and line.>>

Just throwing in my tcw here. I don't know about other folks but I'm not about to use a line that will damage my rod in ANY WAY. I have to much pride and money in my rods to take a chance on a line that MIGHT damage them. Hey, if I were in a long distance casting contest then maybe but just for a few feet more while fishing, no way. There are too many lines out there that work just fine for me and over the years I have tried my share.
Jmtcw.

Big Nick
Old 02-18-2009, 11:12 AM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNick View Post
<<As for guide wear, most quality rods have guides that are very resistant to wear but I have seen the epoxy around the guides worn from Sharkskin. This was at a three day show using a new rod and line.>>

Just throwing in my tcw here. I don't know about other folks but I'm not about to use a line that will damage my rod in ANY WAY. I have to much pride and money in my rods to take a chance on a line that MIGHT damage them. Hey, if I were in a long distance casting contest then maybe but just for a few feet more while fishing, no way. There are too many lines out there that work just fine for me and over the years I have tried my share.
Jmtcw.

Big Nick

I FELT the same way ;-) Did I mention, my Bamboo loves it as do my HI END graphite! I will also add, I fish at least two days a week year round.
Old 02-19-2009, 02:24 PM

jebson38 is on a distinguished road

I know a guy who works for SA and they have been doing a study on the guide wear and found that it does hurt cheaper guides but does not hurt your high end snake guides or SIC stripping guides. In their study they found that a RIO line was harder on guides than the SA Sharkskin. I will ask him when they are releasing this study and where we can find it when it comes out.
Old 02-19-2009, 04:43 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

I often strip line by holding it against the cork grip. My concern was eating
away at the cork...???
Old 02-19-2009, 05:31 PM

I would think any line will wear at the cork, wouldn't it?