The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2009, 07:52 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future
Default Re: Does Scientific Anglers' Sharkskin Line Cause Excessive Guide Wear?

I wouldn't worry too much about Sharkskin wearing out guides or epoxy. If so, and you can prove it, I'll be willing to bet that SA would have your rod repaired in heartbeat n/c.
I would also like to think a company like that has done exhaustive research with rods set up, with all different guides and a constant line going through them to see what damage could occur.
Being that I fish mainly with glass rods I build, and I use varnish instead of epoxy on my guides, I haven't noticed any wear yet. But the year's still young.
Jackster, once again is thinking outside the box when he mentions the line cutting his finger. Wet hands or fingers will be cut easier with any line, let alone SS. Something that happens to all of us without even thinking.
Old 02-20-2009, 08:44 AM

jebson38 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebson38 View Post
I know a guy who works for SA and they have been doing a study on the guide wear and found that it does hurt cheaper guides but does not hurt your high end snake guides or SIC stripping guides. In their study they found that a RIO line was harder on guides than the SA Sharkskin. I will ask him when they are releasing this study and where we can find it when it comes out.
I forgot to mention that he also said to damage any guide with any line you would have to fish 200 days a year for many many years.
Old 02-21-2009, 05:08 PM

crittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nice

I hate to admit it but I am sold.. ( I bought a line after seing a pro cast Sharkskin on my G2 rod). I took the new line on a river float. I can tell you what sold me was how easy it roll cast's and mends.. (If it last 2 times longer then it cost saves)

And even worse.. I let my wife try it. I didn't say a word on how I liked the line until I heard her first comment..."Oh WOW". She basically is a lazy caster and this gave her about 15' more on a simple roll cast and her mends improved a bunch.. So now I have the Trout taper and GPX for her.

So if one is getting more quality fishing time on the waters I would hardly worry about guides or messing up a rod...

And.... I definetly wouldn't think twice about messing up my dishpan hands.... :^) Makes me think about the Milwaulky Best commercial when the beer can crushes the guy when he giggles like a girl....(cutting your little fingers while fishing is just part of fishing)