The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2008, 11:45 AM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold
Question Does Scientific Anglers' Sharkskin Line Cause Excessive Guide Wear?

When this line first came out, there was a lot of concern about it causing excessive guide wear because of its built-in roughness. In fact, there were a lot of anecdotes about it causing injury to the hands/fingers if the line was being braked that way, as well as some complaints about the "noise" the line made when being cast out (using an old Hardy click-&-pawl, equipment noise is the least of my concerns).

Now that it's been out for a while, I'd be interested in any feedback from those who've used it for a while as to whether you've observed abnormal guide wear.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.
Old 11-13-2008, 06:27 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future
Default Re: Does Scientific Anglers' Sharkskin Line Cause Excessive Guide Wear?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly2Fish View Post
When this line first came out, there was a lot of concern about it causing excessive guide wear because of its built-in roughness. In fact, there were a lot of anecdotes about it causing injury to the hands/fingers if the line was being braked that way, as well as some complaints about the "noise" the line made when being cast out (using an old Hardy click-&-pawl, equipment noise is the least of my concerns).

Now that it's been out for a while, I'd be interested in any feedback from those who've used it for a while as to whether you've observed abnormal guide wear.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.
Not from my experience. I haven't had it that long. (1 week), but a friend of mine that fishes almost daily, has had his for 15 months now, and say's it's as good as the day he bought it and shows no sign of wear on his guides. He normally goes thru a new line every 9-12 months. So far it's been cost effective for him.
And as for the sound it makes, it's a little weird at first, but you don't notice it after a while.
Old 11-18-2008, 04:53 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

Thanks, Mojo. Sounds like either the earlier fears were just speculation or S.A. modified the line to get rid of the abrasion "problem" - probably the former.
Old 11-30-2008, 05:18 PM

fishincaper is on a distinguished road

Has any of you guys used the Airflo Ridge line.What is your opinion of these lines?
Old 11-30-2008, 07:27 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

I guess I am one of the guys so to speak...LOL
I have both, Sharkskin and Ridgeline. My Ridgeline is the older version, which means it has allot of memory. Not crazy about that in the cold weather, but absolutely LOVE the line. It just floats and floats and floats, plus shoots great.
It is my go to line for sure. The Sharkskin, was basically I wanted to see what all the
hoopla was about. The GPX is an awesome line and it's longevity is very appealing. Haven't had a chance to use it much yet, but I think it will a coin toss on them both.
Oh yeah, this is year number two on the Ridgeline.
Old 12-01-2008, 07:31 AM

fishincaper is on a distinguished road

Sorry Joni:I guess you are one of the "guys" anyway.From what i`ve read ya know your stuff.I have tried the sharkskin, nice line,but the $100. price tag turns me off.I use the G.P.X line a lot it is a very nice line.I just picked up a ridge line.Going to give it a try next season. Thanks for answering my post.
Old 12-01-2008, 10:43 AM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

When I say GPX, I meant the SHARKSKIN. I was advised this was the best all around choice as a good friend and respected angler told me the TROUT was limited.
The $100. is brutal, but, from what I gather, the longevity of Sharkskin is double regular line, so it makes allot of sense.
Old 12-12-2008, 11:03 AM

Sciflyrep is on a distinguished road

I have heard the same, but I have heard SA has data showing Sharkskin doesn't cause any guide wear...
Old 12-12-2008, 01:56 PM

I will let you know at the end of 2009 ;-)
Old 12-19-2008, 10:18 AM

ksbrowntrout2 has a spectacular aura aboutksbrowntrout2 has a spectacular aura about

In my experience, no. But on my first outing with it, i was stripping a wooly bugger when a six pound brown hit. My hand still hurts from all that sharkskin being torn from my hand. I actually bled and couldnt fish any more that day