The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2010, 09:16 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 4wt Sharkskin Taper?

Do you mean 9'6" or 9' 6 weight?
Old 11-01-2010, 09:51 PM

simms will become famous soon enoughsimms will become famous soon enough

9'6'' 5wt/9' 6wt...both fast action..HLS loomis'...

Perhaps I am getting TOO crazy about tapers! LOL

However, jsut want to make sure before spending a benjamin..

I was thiking with my fast action rods, go with the GPX to be able to launch the indie set up. I am assuming with the sharkskin technology, and casts within 50feet or so, the taper should not matter much in terms of being able to mend?
Old 11-01-2010, 10:09 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Now I am going to make you overthink.

Try considering using Sharkskin Steelhead Tapers on your two rods. Upline to a 6 weight line for your 5 weight and a 7 weight line for your 6 weight.

The reasons why deal with mass and length. Think about it.

MP
Old 11-01-2010, 10:19 PM

MP,

I take it you a big fan of uplining! LOL

I am trying to think about it, however I rather stick with either the UTT or GPX. (its just, the steelhead taper color is absoultely REPULSIVE...And yes, I am one of those fisherman who has to be ok with color coordination LOL) When ya look good, ya feel good, when ya feel good, ya fish good!
Old 11-02-2010, 11:47 AM

I upline when it makes sense.

Nymphing - more line mass builds more load to chuck weighed down nymph rigs.
Streamers - extra mass builds more load to chuck large wind resistant streamers.
Large terrestrial and stonefly dries - extra mass loads the rod more quickly for pick up and shoot type fishing out of the drift boat.

MP
Old 11-02-2010, 02:01 PM

MP,

Thank you!

I believe I will upline...

I still can't break myself from the GPX taper. It just seems great. Able to chuck my indie setup way out there, and if fishing streamers, touch the opposite bank with ease...I realize mending wont be AS good as say with the steelie taper or UTT, but it should be better than most...

I mean, I did some comparing last night. and the triangle taper I was using had a 36' head on it, while the GPX is almost identical..infact, a bit longer of a rear taper than the TT..>So if I was just dandy with the TT for the past few years, the GPX should be fine then too...

Also, the sharkskin should come off the water easier than most lines out there, thus, aiding in mendability too...
Old 11-02-2010, 02:10 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

I have never considered uplining my floating line. That makes a bigger diameter. More buoyant, but wind resistance too. That was the idea behind the WINDCUTTER line with it being a half size smaller head. It really cuts through the wind nice.
So I added that thought to a line that can cast a mile (shark skin) But I didn't under liner either, but went with the rod weight. The GPX is already a half weight more.

Now sinking line with a very small diameter, I will over line at times. 7 wt on a 6 wt.
Old 11-02-2010, 03:22 PM

Simms,
I am going to throw you for another loop. If you are stuck on the GPX, you don't necessarily need to upline. The half line weight should be fine to chuck moderately weighted payloads. If you want the UTT, consider uplining.

I really never asked what the payloads you would be throwing with the rods.

For my true nymph rig, I use a Steelhead taper which have the standard line mass in the first 30 feet. On my 6 weight Z-Axis, I use a 7 weight SA Mastery Steelhead line. The extra mass turns over the heavy rigs I throw, plus the long belly helps me make big mends. I will throw a "spark plug" nymph with my 6 weight.

I use a WF5F Sharkskin GPX for my 5 weight Z-Axis as a general purpose line. It is a decent nymph line. It mends well. I have to keep my drifts within 40 feet because I lose line control on anything longer. I also limit my payload. For example, I won't be throwing a "spark plug" nymph with my 5 weight. The flies that I throw on this rig are #8 and smaller with modest amounts of lead.

I also didn't ask the manner that you fish.

I fish out of a drift boat regularly. It is important to have a line that fires off quickly. If I waded, I could get a little more load with a water load.

Sorry if there was any confusion.

MP
Old 11-02-2010, 08:23 PM

MP.

Thanks for your continuous replies and help. Greatly appreciated.

For the rods in question, they are primarly nymphing rods. Casts/nymphing within 50feet. I fish from shore! I am a New Englander so not many HYDE drift boats headed down the Ausable or Farmy!

My rigs consist of a 1'' indicator (thingamabobber) and anywhere from 2-4 flies nymphs (weighted with a bead) depending on quarry and type of water.

I am assuming my set up doesn't even get close to constitute it a "spark plug", however I guess it reassures me though(in regards to your type/style), and the GPX should do just fine...

I ordered the two liens in GPX willow this afternoon! the trigger is PULLED! NO looking back now!

Now, since I want to convert most of my rods, I am banging my head against the wall concerning my 8'3'' streamdance GLX 3 wt...GPX or UTT? LOL (and, and I do nymph with this rod on the smaller streams) Trying to figure out if the 8'3'' could handle a 3wt gpx (really a 3.5)

Thanks mp!!!!
Old 11-02-2010, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simms View Post
Now, since I want to convert most of my rods, I am banging my head against the wall concerning my 8'3'' streamdance GLX 3 wt...GPX or UTT? LOL (and, and I do nymph with this rod on the smaller streams) Trying to figure out if the 8'3'' could handle a 3wt gpx (really a 3.5).
First, your rod can handle a GPX taper.

The question is how much do you want your line to load your rod. If you want it to load off the tip, go with the UTT. This will allow you to throw tighter loops. If you want it to load off the midsection, go with the GPX. This will allow you to throw more open loops.

You can nymph fish with either line. The UTT will fish well as long as you have a lighter payload. The GPX taper will help throw a heavier payload more efficiently.

If I recall correctly, the Streamdance GLX is a quick rod. The GPX taper might be the better line for it.

MP