The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2008, 01:27 PM

swalker9513 is on a distinguished road
Default Choosing a fly line

Please excuse me for the intrusion. I'm a bit of a novice to flyfishing, and spend a great deal of my time fishing warm waters. But on occasion make it to cold water for trout.

Fly line selection hurts my brain nearly as much as trying to buy a rod...so many options...so much marketing...and really, honestly, much more ignorance on my side of the equation.

I very much enjoy short, light rods. It seems to make the fight more fair, but that's just what I prefer. I don't have the most efficient casting stroke either. So my lack of experience forces me to places like this to seek instruction. The equation for choosing a fly line seems akin to the calculations to determine the BCS Champion (rod weight x casting stroke / rod flex + preferred fly x cost) It's really mind-boggling. So any help would be appreciated. I want to have that beautiful experience of the perfectly balanced system.

I sorta know what WF, DT, shooting line, sinking line means in generalities, but more than a little foggy on nuances. I just assumed that I would always buy WF floating line, but the more I read, I'm not so sure anymore.

I'm sure there is a question in here somewhere. Sorry.

How about this? WF (advantages, disadvantages, application) DT (adva...)

I know I'm asking for a books worth of knowledge.
Old 12-24-2008, 02:56 PM

Default Re: Choosing a fly line

Hmmm? maybe I should try another approach.

Does anyone have experience with Cortland 444 Sylk line? They market it to bamboo rod users, but would a progressive taper graphite rod be similar enough? I've never fished with a bamboo rod before so I really don't know.
Old 12-24-2008, 03:27 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

First off, I am a minority, but I prefer WF BECAUSE it is a smaller diameter and shoots easier FOR ME.
As far as lines for Light Weight rods that is cold friendly, I will say the Cortland Sylk is good, there is also Orvis Superfine, and my favorite is RIO Selective Trout II.
These are great in cold weather.

I recently bought Sharkskin, and absolutely LOVE it, but I cannot report on how it is in teen weather,as of yet.
Old 12-24-2008, 03:47 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
In general, for the first 30' a WF and a DT are the same. If you never cast any further it wouldn't matter which one you choose

With a WF line, behind the front taper, the 'belly' narrows which allows for better 'shooting' of the line equaling longer casts. This narrow section continues all the way to the end.

With a DT line, the belly remains just as fat as the forward taper. The advantage here is that the added weight of the belly makes for easier mending.
A second advantage of the DT is that it's reversible. The taper at the rear end of the line is the same as the forward end. In other words, when your line wears out you can just turn it around for a second life

I've never fished a sylk line myself, but the advantage with them is that they're thin and supple
There's a number of plastic lines that would fit that description too
I like the private label Hook & Hackle High Floater
Old 12-24-2008, 11:04 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

I myself like DT lines. Being a beginner, a WF would be your best choice. What rod do you fish with is the main question- brand, model, weight and length.
I don't like Cortland Sylk lines. Like Joni said Rio Selective Trout II (and possibly III by spring) is a great line too. Very little memory.
For the money, I like Sharkskin. Man that stuff shoots, picks up off the water incredibly, roll casts like no other and FLOATS. All the time it floats. The other thing I like about it-there's no damn memory. S.A.'s Sharkskin GPX WF. Not the same line as the longer belly they had first (last year). But it's $35-$40 more than Rio, SA or Orvis lines. Also if you have a fast rod the Sharkskin GPX, like Rio's Grande is a half size heavier.
I haven't notice a big difference (Sharkskin being heavier) because I use it on 4w glass rods.
Don't need no stinkin' fast plastic rod.
Old 12-25-2008, 08:45 AM

Well, thanks for the replies. You have been quite helpful. Mojo, it is actually time to replace line on several rods, but if I can learn about lines without hundreds of dollars of trial and error, then my wife would be much happier. And we all know if momma ain't happy...

Here is what I have.
2 wt lil streamer from dormer. It's 5 feet long, I would call it a progressive taper. Would be really surprised if I ever cast more than 30 feet of line.

3 wt that I broke the tip off of. I put a tip top on it and it seems to be a 5 wt now progressive taper. A little over 5 feet now. Lots of fun for bream.

4 wt custom rod on cts blank fast action.

6 wt tfo. Have new line on this. 7 wt rio bass taper
Old 12-25-2008, 09:40 AM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by swalker9513 View Post
Well, thanks for the replies. You have been quite helpful. Mojo, it is actually time to replace line on several rods, but if I can learn about lines without hundreds of dollars of trial and error, then my wife would be much happier. And we all know if momma ain't happy...

Here is what I have.
2 wt lil streamer from dormer. It's 5 feet long, I would call it a progressive taper. Would be really surprised if I ever cast more than 30 feet of line.
Look for Rio Selective Trout-on Ebay, not STII but the original. You can get it in the $35 range.
3 wt that I broke the tip off of. I put a tip top on it and it seems to be a 5 wt now progressive taper. A little over 5 feet now. Lots of fun for bream.
Rio Grande or Gold, or even a Wulff TT could be a good choice for this one
4 wt custom rod on cts blank fast action.
Sharkskin, Rio Gold or Grande
6 wt tfo. Have new line on this. 7 wt rio bass taper
I like the Rio product. And Sharkskin.
A lot of people here still like Cortland Peach. Some like SA lines. These are just my thoughts on what might work good.
Old 12-25-2008, 09:40 AM

Sep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of light

Forget the formulas, for now, and start simple. Later you can get caught up in the arcane, but for now, just get started. Where are you fishing and what are you fishing for? Obvious choices come from these two simple question, not from formulas.

And welcome to the sport!!!! You will love it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swalker9513 View Post
Please excuse me for the intrusion. I'm a bit of a novice to flyfishing, and spend a great deal of my time fishing warm waters. But on occasion make it to cold water for trout.

Fly line selection hurts my brain nearly as much as trying to buy a rod...so many options...so much marketing...and really, honestly, much more ignorance on my side of the equation.

I very much enjoy short, light rods. It seems to make the fight more fair, but that's just what I prefer. I don't have the most efficient casting stroke either. So my lack of experience forces me to places like this to seek instruction. The equation for choosing a fly line seems akin to the calculations to determine the BCS Champion (rod weight x casting stroke / rod flex + preferred fly x cost) It's really mind-boggling. So any help would be appreciated. I want to have that beautiful experience of the perfectly balanced system.

I sorta know what WF, DT, shooting line, sinking line means in generalities, but more than a little foggy on nuances. I just assumed that I would always buy WF floating line, but the more I read, I'm not so sure anymore.

I'm sure there is a question in here somewhere. Sorry.

I know I'm asking for a books worth of knowledge.
Old 12-25-2008, 11:33 AM

Thanks for the suggestions. I've been flyfishing almost exclusively for the entire year. I crossed over from bass fishing. I live in Texas so most of my fishing is warm water for bream, largemouth and crappie. I go to northern new Mexico once a year. Also once a year to a trophy trout area in Texas. Short rods because sometimes I'm fishing in some pretty close quarters.

The 4 wt has orvis line on it. I think it's wonderline, but I don't remember. I like it pretty well.
Old 12-25-2008, 12:18 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Just a thought, except for the fact you mentioned that due to a mishap, your 3 is now a 5. I was thinking a 3 weight DT....cut it in half, put more backing and now have two lines, one for the 2 and one for the 3. I know it is tough to try to string several rods at once, so try mixing.
Out of convenience, I will fish a 5 weight with 5 wt line, then switch to a 4 weight rod, but use the reel and 5 weight line. Just have to slow down a bit.