The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2009, 10:50 AM

neversink will become famous soon enough
Lightbulb Monic's Clear Fly Lines

Let's exchange information and feedback about Monic's clear fly lines from fresh water to saltwater phantom tip.
Old 01-20-2009, 10:56 AM

Default Re: Monic's Clear Fly Lines

My first wonder is how is the feel of casting one of these, especially Trocpical Clear Line (bonefish/permit) or Phantom Tip (clear head + yellow green running).

Has anyone tried them out?
Old 01-20-2009, 12:51 PM

shorthaul will become famous soon enough

I tried a 12wt and it did ok in Key West but after a cold snap in N.Carolina it ended up coming off the floor in a ball with a 10# albie on his first run. It got stuck in the 2nd snake guide it came to and pulled the top 2 sections of my s3s Scott 10 wt apart---we handlined the fish and untied the knot and put the rod back together and finished the fight and released the fish---the snake guide cut the line to the core and is basically useless except for lanyards and emergency shoelaces. The 5 year old clear intermediate line that i took off is what im sticking with in Key West and Cape Lookout.

I suppose it was a misjudgement on my part, using it in colder water and air but it was definitely not good in that application---I replaced it with a Sharkskin and caught 2 more albies with a floater---now that line WAS impressive!
Old 01-26-2009, 04:04 PM

Shane Stroud is a jewel in the roughShane Stroud is a jewel in the roughShane Stroud is a jewel in the rough

I have two reels with Monic clear freshwater line (WF8F). It casts alright, floats really well, and has virtually no memory, but I would say it's a very soft line. It does not stand up to abuse like other lines. I do lots of bass fishing in heavy weeds, stumps, rocks, brush piles, etc. These things tear up Monic lines worse than most others.

If you use Monic's Microslick dressing, it helps it go through the guides really well. I haven't tried any other dressings on it, so I can't say much for them.

Don't even try tying a knot of any kind in the line. The core of the line will cut right through the outer shell. You absolutely have to either use the premade connector loops or nylon leader links and burn a ball on the end with a lighter. I tried to tie a leader on with a nail knot and it cut right through to the core.
Old 06-13-2009, 08:40 AM

I tried Phantom Tip for 9wt in Hawaii last February, and the line performed very good for bonefish who didn't get spooked as much as other anglers who used normal color line.

Then I noticed that the loop on the tip was worn out after only 3 days of fishing. I did pull it hard from time to time to recover the heavy fly off the coral, so

I guess the transparency is achieved with the sacrifice in strength.

BTW, it really helps having greenish section in tranpsarent fly line to identify where the line is heading to.
Old 06-13-2009, 09:26 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Everyone,

How about the new Cortland PE+ Crystal. I have been thinking about trying one of these. Has any one seen one yet?

Frank

Cortland Precision PE+ Crystal
Click the image to open in full size.
PE+ CRYSTAL

"The all-new Precision PE+ Crystal is formulated with a proprietary blend of polyethylene and special copolymers. Built on a nylon monofilament core, the PE+ Crystal’s patent-pending crystal-clear jacket is naturally lighter than water, eliminating the need for micro-balloons or other agents to make it float. The hard, ultra-smooth PE+ line jacket finish has a lower coefficient of friction than any production floating line ever built, so it shoots silently through the guides and casts faster and farther than equivalent PVC-coated floating lines. The tough, new PE+ line jacket is also much more resistant to cuts / abrasion and is fused to the monofilament core with an almost unbreakable bond so nail knots hold securely and there is never any separation"
Old 06-15-2009, 09:07 PM

burk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really nice

Well here's a couple of reviews of Crystal PE:

Winston Rods :: View topic - New Clear Cortland Line...

Cortland Precision PE+ Crystal Tropic Fly Line : Fishwest Online Fly Shop

Flyfishamerica's latest issue had a great review of it in the travel issue too. I have only been able to cast it, as it has been a very cool spring in the north country. I may get down to chase some snook in a couple of weeks. But in warm conditions it turns heads while casting, it's quite but it really shoots. As far as durability it was outlasting our regular fly lines by over three times in our durability test. As mentioned in the add copy it has no problems holding a knot. It's definitely a huge advance over earlier clear lines.
Old 06-16-2009, 08:54 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi 48237,

Thanks for the information. I was hoping you were still coming around.

Frank