The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2009, 11:04 AM

MikeG will become famous soon enough
Default Rio Outbound line

Has anyone ever used Rio Outbond fly line? I was thinking of using it for a muskie outfit a sinking and floating line. Good idea or bad?

Anyone have any suggestions of fly line that would be good for a muskie setup?
Old 02-16-2009, 01:50 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future
Default Re: Rio Outbound line

It definitely has the mass to turn over those big bugs. I have it in a 10 weight in floating. It acts a lot like a shooting head in that the running line is super thin.
Old 02-16-2009, 03:29 PM

jimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura about

This is my favorite line for saltwater. i have the floating in a 9wt. It is very heavy in the head and loads the rod quickly takes a little time to get the stroke down but i can really shoot alot of line with one false cast. It would not be my first choce for a subtle presentation.
Old 02-16-2009, 04:45 PM

Muskie fishing is subtle at all. I have thrown RIO clouser line before but I been told by others to get RIO Outbound line.
Old 02-16-2009, 05:04 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Jim and Jackster,

What's the length of the head on your Rios? They come in 2 flavors, the "regular" 37.5 head, and the Short Head (30' head). They're both a lot heavier than the SA Pike Musky line (35' head), both in terms of the first 30' and total weight of the head (same thing for the 30' SH).

The best thing is to try 'em with a pike fly or big hunk of yarn, if you can of course. With your casting stroke, combined with your rod action, one of them is bound to be a bit more of a rocket than the others, but that's tough to do these days with more and more shops disappearing.

And if you went the RIO OB make sure you get the coldwater and not the tropical for Pike/Musky. The tropical could turn into a slinky in cold water and/or cold air temps.

Mark
Old 02-16-2009, 09:07 PM

jimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura about

I have the long head not the short, I have not tried the short
Old 02-17-2009, 07:41 AM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

peregrines, I have the longer head on mine.
The Outbound line is already up-sized two line sizes when you get it as in, the 7 weight will weigh-in as a 9 weight.
This uplining is recommended for most shooting head systems anyhow, Rio just makes it easier.
Old 02-17-2009, 09:05 AM

Would the Rio Outbound line be a good line for throwing large flies for muskie?
Old 02-17-2009, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
Would the Rio Outbound line be a good line for throwing large flies for muskie?
Hi Mike
Yes this line will throw very large flies. I throw alot of deceivers and clousers in the 2/0 up to 5/0 size. A few good tips for large flies (if you tie your own) would be to use thin wire hooks, tie flies that are sparsely tied and areo dynamic, with bass bugs were you spin deer hair again use thin hooks and trim as much hair off as you can without the fly sinking and use floantant versus a thicker head. Like Peregrines says the have 2 different head sizes i think the short model could have a few advantages if you fish tight quarters, but i have the longer head and it works great for saltwater. The running line is very thin and really shoots well. I have never fished for muskies!!