The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2010, 09:03 PM

kfisher99 is on a distinguished road
Default 10 wt saltwater fly line

So I am getting a 10 wt rod(probably a used sage Xi2 fast action rod for $250) with a 9/10 Allen Alpha reel and now i need to decide what lines to get. Most of what I will be doing will be subsurface clouser type fishing for bonito,bass,yellowtail,barracuda,halibut, corbina, or small leopard sharks. And summertime I might go after albacore,yellowfin, or dorado around kelp patties. I haven't fished any of those pelagics on the fly so I don't know what line people use for it. I am going to buy an extra spool, so based on those species, I need some suggestions on two lines that will serve me well and make me diverse in saltwater. My only experience fly fishing saltwater thus far is taking my 8 wt out with t14 28ft sink tip and catching bass with a chartruese clouser. Also should I overline this rod to make casting larger baitfish type flies easier? Thank you for input!
Old 12-15-2010, 01:52 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 10 wt saltwater fly line

I have been hesitant to give you a specific line recommendation due to not knowing the waters that you fish.

But you can make a logical guess yourself. Think about the depth of which the fish will be holding. Base your line choice off of that.

As for overlining, try casting the rod with a variety of line weights with the puffiest indicator you can find or a large wind resistant fly. That will tell you whether you should overline or not.

MP