The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2009, 09:17 AM

MikeG will become famous soon enough
Default Sharkskin line

Has anyone used the SA Sharkskin lines yet, specifically the Magnum taper or the Saltwater series?
Old 02-26-2009, 03:41 PM

shorthaul will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Sharkskin line

I have used a 10 wt magnum and cant say enough good things about it----it does everything they say.
Old 02-26-2009, 03:49 PM

Sep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of light

Trying out my new GPX tomorrow. I'll let you know.

Sep
Old 02-28-2009, 01:42 AM

crittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nice

WARNING WARNING... Buyer beware.. Watch the GPX

I hate to admit it but I am a Sharkskin fan... I had a pro put it on my rod and was casting into my backing in 3 false cast.. I also believe the mending and rollcasting is a step above other lines.. That doesn't mean other lines don't work it means it gives me about 15' more on my roll cast and mends line easier at longer distances.. (ooops short story long)

So I bought a trout taper for me as a gift to myself for Xmas. My wife proceeded to try it.. and of course she said "Wow" that mend is cool...

We went to Cabela's and bought the GPX because it is about 1/2 wt heavier and Roll casting should be easier with GPX becasue of it's belly design.. The first spool after we put it on, we noticed a nick in the end of the line loop... We grabbed the second one on the shelf and it had the same designed in nick.. So if you buy $100 worth of expensive line it better be $100 worth of EXPENSIVE line. We left with the sharkskin 6wt trout taper for her.

I have also convenced a friend who loves bigger and better goodies.. and he order the same GPX line only to find out it has a Nick on the loop.. It is to late because MO trout operner is Sunday for him to send it back but he would if he could.. He said he will keep it and if the built in loop breaks he will go ahead and put a braid on it..

So far trout taper no nicks 100%... GPX Nicks in loop 100%...

Good luck... Side by side yard casting on a sage 10' rod the GPX does like GPX should.. It will roll cast like a champ.. over the trout taper.. But I bet the Trout taper will still be a little more delicate for those spooky fisheeee's ..

Crittergetter
Old 02-28-2009, 05:40 PM

MikeG will become famous soon enough

Too bad that does not help me considering I asked about the saltwater version or Magnum taper.
Old 02-28-2009, 07:56 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

We have two Sharkskins GPX's in the family. No nicks, so you're 100% is now down to 50%. When the rest of the guys using SS here chime in we'll see which way the balance goes.
I'll putting a buck or so on it that your percentage is going
d
o
w
n
Mike G. go ahead and buy it. You won't regret it either.
Old 03-01-2009, 10:47 AM

maximus is on a distinguished road

i picked up a ss gpx 6 wt... no nicks

i cast a ss magnum taper ....heavy head, it casts like a clouser style line the head just doesn't feel as thick in the hand

i'm sure it would make a great line for throwing bigger stuff really loads the rod up close....
Old 03-03-2009, 10:39 PM

crittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nice

I am still a fan.. Just watch the loops..

March 1 was trout opener in MO. We opened trout season at 15 degree's.. and I said ice fishing was for the crazzies..... Bennett Spring State Park Fishing Report (Tailgate party for us fly fishers)

Anyway I felt the line stuck quicker at freezing than my old $60 ROI GPX

After it warmed up to past 32 the line performed exactly like it should.. and mending was easier as well as roll cast.. As you can see there is no room to do anything but quick mends and roll casts.. The bad part was our line would stick and occationally get into our neighbors.. but we were all doing the same...

I would like to try the GPX side by side with the Trout Taper.. I think I would like GPX for Nymphing and roll casting better.. But now that I have spent the birthday money I will need to wait until next year..
Old 03-04-2009, 10:39 AM

jebson38 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
Has anyone used the SA Sharkskin lines yet, specifically the Magnum taper or the Saltwater series?
2 of my friends fish the saltwater series in 8wt and for the most part they love it. From what they were telling me, the line performs best in warm water but does pretty good in 45 degree water as well. The only issues they have with the line is when they are stripping a clouser and a fish hits the line burns their hands. They have had to learn to let go of the line when the fish hits and starts running. I joke with them about having soft hands. I just ordered my 9wt saltwater series yesterday.
Old 03-04-2009, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebson38 View Post
2 of my friends fish the saltwater series in 8wt and for the most part they love it. From what they were telling me, the line performs best in warm water but does pretty good in 45 degree water as well. The only issues they have with the line is when they are stripping a clouser and a fish hits the line burns their hands. They have had to learn to let go of the line when the fish hits and starts running. I joke with them about having soft hands. I just ordered my 9wt saltwater series yesterday.
I had one fish strip line out and the drift boat was going the opposite way.. that did burn the crook in my finger..

Now me being a Man I said "Meeerrrly a flesh wound"... My wife of course says.. "It is all solved by wearing sun gloves" You know the light weight silky things that girls wear... Unfortunately I think she is thinking on getting me a pair for some sort of gift.. one for the hurt index finger and also for the sun burn/skin cancer...