The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2009, 12:41 AM

HookEmHorns will become famous soon enough
Default Leader and Tippet Question... Not What You Probably Think Though!

Hey y'all,
This is not a thread asking what size tippet or leader is right for my fishing and what the x numbers mean. I think I am finally getting used to that part for right now...
I was wondering if anyone knew what the difference between the Orvis Mirage leaders, the Orvis Super Strong leaders, and the Hi-flote leaders? I would really like to know.
I am in Des Moines at the moment and this is the only time I will be anywhere near a place to get a leader and tippet for the season for a while. I think the place I usually go has the Mirage and Super strong leaders, which I have the Super Strong. I have not had a problem with them, but I have not put them to a real strong test yet either. I need to know which one is stronger and which one is less visible to the fish. I am going to try to hook some of the Grass Carp in grandpa's lake when I go home for spring break if the weather permits it...
Any help is appreciated. If you know what any differences are, that would be good. And if you have any good suggestions of a brand to buy, and possibly websites, because that is probably the way I will have to order stuff, that would be great too!
Oh and one last thing, just found this as I was getting links for the other stuff. Has anyone used any of the No Knot Leader systems? What is up with these and would this be more of a pain in the butt than regluar leaders and tippet?
Thanks y'all.
HookEmHorns
Old 03-07-2009, 09:28 AM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future
Default Re: Leader and Tippet Question... Not What You Probably Think Though!

Mirage is flurocarbon, Super Strong is nylon. Hy Flote is nylon with air pockets or something like that. We had a couple and tried them. They do float.
It's up to you to decide. I use furled leaders anymore. I just don't like the store bought curly nylon or fluor leaders. Too much memory.
Old 03-07-2009, 10:27 AM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

The knotless thing seems a little elaborate and expensive.

Fluoro (Orvis Mirage and others) sinks faster, is less visible, and more expensive. It can be a little fussier about knots, and you need make sure you seat them properly, which is always a good idea anyway. You could always get a fluoro tippet spool to attach to a mono leader if you wanted to try it for more stealthy presentations or to use with small flies.

Mono is more or less the traditional leader tippet material and is the most widely used, I mostly use Rio Trout leaders and tippet in FW which would be more similar to the Orvis super strong. Not as expensive as fluoro, and it works for me.

The high float may not be the best choice for carp if you need to sink a fly.

mark
Old 03-08-2009, 03:49 AM

pszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to behold

From what I can tell, it looks like the knotless deal just uses a loop tp loop connection. You can do that yourself with any leader you already have, just tie a loop in the end, then use a loop to loop to add tippet.

I'm not sure how to post a picture here, but I have one on my website posted in my signature if you want to see how to tie a loop.

Hope that helps.

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Forum

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

"People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" - John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo
Old 03-08-2009, 10:25 AM

MikeG will become famous soon enough

I believe the knotless leader is a tapered leader that has a loop on one end and tapers down to a tippet. I use to use them when I first started out, they are good for newbies to the sport. When the thinner section gets used up you can use a blood knot or whatever and tie on my tippet material. Overall if you are new to the sport the knotless leader is a good choice. But what I fish for now I need a bite guard, so I use steel leaders.
Old 03-08-2009, 12:25 PM

crittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
I believe the knotless leader is a tapered leader that has a loop on one end and tapers down to a tippet. I use to use them when I first started out, they are good for newbies to the sport. When the thinner section gets used up you can use a blood knot or whatever and tie on my tippet material. Overall if you are new to the sport the knotless leader is a good choice. But what I fish for now I need a bite guard, so I use steel leaders.
Ditto's on what Mike says... Take a look at 70' and 80' fly fishing books.. They would show 12' of leader with about 6 knots in it from 0x to 7x

I have yet to like a tapered leader down to 7x or even 6x becasue I believe the end is really fragile and breaks off easy.. Anymore I will start with a 12' tapered leader and cut about 3 feet off of it and tie my own 7x or 6x Flouro.. This year it is a toss up with me between Froghair or Airflow...