The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2009, 10:02 AM

pl4a is on a distinguished road
Default What sinking lines to consider?

In addition to river fishing, I'm also going to try some lake fishing this year for both trout and bass. Never done lake fishing with a fly rod. If I'm not mistaken, I believe that I will benefit from using sinking (or sinking tip?) line. Can I use the same sinking line for both species of fish? In the areas I fish I'm expecting trout 12-20" and bass 3-5lb.

How do I select a sinking line for the applications? What considerations? Any specific line recommendations? This would be paired with a gloomis 9' 5# streamdance and lamson velocity 2.

I've never used sinking line before, so please don't hesitate to start at the beginning. Thanks in advance.

-Paul
Old 03-10-2009, 09:25 AM

FlyDog is on a distinguished road
Default Re: What sinking lines to consider?

This would be a good place to start.
Cortland - Precision Clear Camo Intermediate (90)
You might add a type 2 if you find yourself needing to get deeper.
Hope this helps.
Old 03-10-2009, 06:14 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

There are a couple ways to go- a clear intermediate "full sink" might be good if you fish relatively shallow lakes-- it's got a slow sink rate and might be a good choice if you want to fish a fly over sunken weed beds for example. I use an intermediate in the surf here in SW to get under the chop of waves.

Another way to go might be a sink tip. I like this for moving water, it allows you to mend the floating portion of the line, and tends to be a little easier to pick up and recast. you can find them with 10-25 foot sinking heads in different densities depending on how dep you want to get.

A full sink line might be better if you fish lakes from a boat or tube, it'll allow you to get deep and also there will be a straight line connection between you and the fly (as opposed to the hinge where the floating line meets the sinktip).

But for all around streams and lakes, I'd go with a sinktip, and it's a great choice especially if you fish lakes and ponds from shore.

Mark
Old 03-11-2009, 01:23 AM

GRN will become famous soon enough

As much as I like Rio... their Lake lines (I like fishing type V-VII lines... we have deep lakes ) drive me nuts. They twist... doesn't matter how you change your stroke, the fly used, nothing... just twist, right into a big birds nest. We experienced it on our rods, and also had several customer complaints.

I choose fly rods the same way I do women, motorcycles, and cowboy boots...
go with what ever feels good, and keep on hand as many as I can afford