The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2010, 04:42 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Furled Leaders ... ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post
Joni, thanks for the info, I am sold on giving these at least a try. Let me ask a couple more questions:

How are your leaders sized? I mean are they classified like a standard tapered mono leader, i.e. 2x, 3x, 4x...7x - or do you match up to your line weight and go with different lengths i.e. a 5' for 1x-4x and a 6' for 5x-7x? I noticed in the picture on you website store that the packages have a length and line weight.

I also really like the idea of having a leader that will sink, when you want it to! and not when you don't! Is it simply a material difference?

How long will a typical floating leader last, ballpark? At some point they must get to dirty to keep floating, right?

Thanks for all the info. I'll probably make an order soon. But then I know I am going to try to make some for myself this winter.

I make them in 5', 5'6", & 6' lengths for 2-4 wt. 4-6 wt. 6 - 8 wt. and specialty leaders for larger. I use a different taper for each.
Thread is nice in that you can put floatant on and it will float for quite awhile. Or you can hold it in the water and soak it and it will sink beautifully.
I take two out with me because if one does get water logged and I want to dry, I can switch while it dries out. I generally however can fish several hours on one leader with no worries.
Old 12-17-2010, 05:07 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni View Post
I make them in 5', 5'6", & 6' lengths for 2-4 wt. 4-6 wt. 6 - 8 wt. and specialty leaders for larger. I use a different taper for each.
Thanks. I am not being clear with my question, I'll try again. I fish a 4 WT mostly. Are the the tapers the same on all leader lengths within the same line weight, i.e. is the 5' leader for 4 WT line the same as the 6' taper for 4 WT line? Or is the shorter leader a little stouter at the loop end to accept heavier tippets (0x-3x) and then you go up from there in length to gain finer end for finer tippets?

Is this question making sense?

For example, say I am nymphing with 2 feet of 3X tippet on one of your 5' leaders, then I want to switch and cast dries with 4X or 5X, can I just clip the 3X tippet and tie on 3 feet of 5X onto the same leader?

Thanks!
Old 12-17-2010, 05:08 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Ohhh, absolutely.
Old 01-24-2011, 02:51 AM

JoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to behold

What's everyone's favorite way to attach furled leaders to the flyline? I have always cut off loops and nail knotted heavy mono to the FL, then blood knot/surgeon's to the tapered mono leaders I've always used.
Since I've heard both recomendations, I whipped a loop onto my 4 WT line and tied a perfection loop in the heavy mono on my 6 WT. I havent fished the new leaders yet. Any opinions on which is best?
Old 01-24-2011, 07:49 PM

cattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to all

Every furled leader that Ive used has a loop on both ends for connecting to line and tippet. In fact, Im not totally positive on this, I think the loops are an integral part of the furled leader construction.
If you've already got a loop on the end of your fly line then you're good to go and IMO this is the best way to go.
For future reference If you don't have a loop on the end of your fly line try this: Cut your fly line and seal the end of your line with just a dab of cement. This will keep your floating line from becoming a sink tip line. (I did not do this my first time and after a long day of fishing I noticed this becoming apparent and hard to work with.)
Attach a section of Amnesia or similar memory free line with a nail knot. Ive heard several different ideas on length. Anywhere from 6"-18". Personally, on my five weight setup I use about a 8" section of Amnesia. It seems to work best for me.
Put a perfection loop on the end of the Amnesia, attach your leader and you are ready.

Hope that helps JoJer!

It's not what I catch when I'm fishing, it's what I lose that matters to me...
----------------------------------------
Good decisions come from experience...Experience comes from bad decisions...
Old 01-24-2011, 11:30 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by cattech89 View Post
Cut your fly line and seal the end of your line with just a dab of cement. This will keep your floating line from becoming a sink tip line.
If you have a standard line w/o a loop why would you cut the end and then re-seal it rather that just nail knot the factory end?
Old 01-25-2011, 07:58 AM

cattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post
If you have a standard line w/o a loop why would you cut the end and then re-seal it rather that just nail knot the factory end?
You're totally right. I was just going off of my own example. When this first technique was explained to me i had already cut my line a couple times in order to add new tapered leaders. I was on a steep learning curve a few months ago, heck I still am. Sorry for not being clearer in my explanation and thanks for bringing that up deanmt

It's not what I catch when I'm fishing, it's what I lose that matters to me...
----------------------------------------
Good decisions come from experience...Experience comes from bad decisions...
Old 01-25-2011, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cattech89 View Post
You're totally right. I was just going off of my own example. When this first technique was explained to me i had already cut my line a couple times in order to add new tapered leaders. I was on a steep learning curve a few months ago, heck I still am. Sorry for not being clearer in my explanation and thanks for bringing that up deanmt
I was just wondering if you had a trick up your sleeve or I was missing something? No problem, man!
Old 01-25-2011, 01:06 PM

dave5977 has a spectacular aura aboutdave5977 has a spectacular aura aboutdave5977 has a spectacular aura about

Hi guys,
Can I step in with a more basic question about furled leaders? I was going to start a new thread before I read this one. I'm not sure if I should of or not... I certianly will check out Kathy's DVD. It will probably answer my questions. how ever I'm too Anxious to get started to try it.
On youtube, there is a furled method using monofilament without jigs or tools. He used 15 lb test for demo purposes.
My question is; I have a 6wt and soon a 4wt. What would be the best mono test for these two line weights?
Old 01-25-2011, 01:24 PM

I Know Kelly can answer that for you. He makes the no jig leaders.