The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2011, 04:17 PM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Furled Leaders ... ?

I think I saw the same video, pretty nice method. Joni, my question to you - is that a true furled leader or is that what you would consider a twisted leader? I have read that there is a difference in method...just curious. And I am still going to order a couple from you to see them. I like this hand twist too, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave5977 View Post
I have a 6wt and soon a 4wt. What would be the best mono test for these two line weights?
Good question, Dave, I hope someone comes along with an answer.
Old 01-25-2011, 09:08 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post
I think I saw the same video, pretty nice method. Joni, my question to you - is that a true furled leader or is that what you would consider a twisted leader? I have read that there is a difference in method...just curious. And I am still going to order a couple from you to see them. I like this hand twist too, though.

Good question, Dave, I hope someone comes along with an answer.
If this
is the video you're talking about, I don't think I would call it a furled leader. To me, it is a twisted leader. If you notice, there's no real taper or formulated taper to it. He just pulls off X amount of line, doubles up on it and starts to twist. Then he continues by folding it not quite in half and continues twisting.
Is it a tapered or stepped down leader? I'd say it's a stepdown. Furled or twisted leader. I'm going to say twisted. And it's got quite a bit more memory than what I would call a furled leader made of thin mono (.003") or 6/0 unithread which is MY favorite.
Throughout the years, George Harvey had figured out specialized knotted leaders and formulas to make them lay out correctly.
Furled leaders also have a formula to get a correct taper that lays down beautifully.
Capt'n Sodie is just taking and building a 4 twist leader stepping down to a 2 twist leader with a single tippet tied on.
Not much of a taper to gently lay down a 24 PMD with. But it probably works great in the salt.
A furled leader like Joni or Pzzy could build you, has a formula of 5 gradual tapers.
Example: A 14-12-10-8-6 in a 5' or 6' mono or unithread leader. All that means is the butt section is 14 strands, going down to 12, then 10, then 8 and finally 6 strands at the end of the leader. All this in 5' or 6' leader.
Joni puts a black 2 mm or 3 mm tippet ring on the end that you tie your tippet to. No chance of clipping the leader when changing or if you use a handshake loop, it's easier to remove with a ring. And yes, the rings float. 3mm is a very tiny ring. Dress it up with some floatant, Johnson's Paste Wax, Butches Alley Wax or what ever you want and it'll float for a long time.
Furled leaders don't spray water when you pick your line up like braided leaders do or I'm going to say like a twisted leader would. Furled are wound much tighter that twisted leaders are.
Old 01-25-2011, 11:16 PM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the reply, Mojo. After I thought about it and did some more looking around I realized this method (and, yes this is the video I had watched) is not furling at all.

I am still searching for a good tutorial on how to make a furled leader with thread. Not that I am opposed to purchasing from Joni, they look beautiful, I just really like to make stuff!

Thanks again.
Old 01-25-2011, 11:22 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post
Thanks for the reply, Mojo. After I thought about it and did some more looking around I realized this method (and, yes this is the video I had watched) is not furling at all.

I am still searching for a good tutorial on how to make a furled leader with thread. Not that I am opposed to purchasing from Joni, they look beautiful, I just really like to make stuff!

Thanks again.
Kathy Scott. LOL
Old 01-25-2011, 11:53 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

i recently purchased a bunch of furled leaders from joni, and in my humble opinion, they're as good, if not better than other bigger name leaders i have bought in the past. they have yet to touch any water, but they look and feel like a quality product.

casey

ARFE
Old 01-26-2011, 04:48 AM

cattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseywise View Post
i recently purchased a bunch of furled leaders from joni, and in my humble opinion, they're as good, if not better than other bigger name leaders i have bought in the past. they have yet to touch any water, but they look and feel like a quality product.

casey
I just got three unithread leaders in last week in order to get ready for spring. I can't wait to use them.

It's not what I catch when I'm fishing, it's what I lose that matters to me...
----------------------------------------
Good decisions come from experience...Experience comes from bad decisions...
Old 01-26-2011, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni View Post
Kathy Scott. LOL
Right. Kathy Scott. I guess I wasn't specific: I've been searching for something good online. See, I am cheap and impatient!

But not that cheap, I reckon I'll have to order the CD.
Old 01-26-2011, 10:41 AM

dave5977 has a spectacular aura aboutdave5977 has a spectacular aura aboutdave5977 has a spectacular aura about

Yep, That's the video I refered to on page two in this thread. Now that I see it is a twisted leader, I looked for instructions about a furled leader outside of youtube. I didn't find a video, but I did find a .PDF with instructions. It uses Uni-thread 6/0.

http://www.furledleaders.co.uk/pdf/h...led-leader.pdf.

Is more of what you're saying is a true furled leader?
Old 01-26-2011, 11:13 AM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave5977 View Post
Yep, That's the video I refered to on page two in this thread. Now that I see it is a twisted leader, I looked for instructions about a furled leader outside of youtube. I didn't find a video, but I did find a .PDF with instructions. It uses Uni-thread 6/0.

http://www.furledleaders.co.uk/pdf/h...led-leader.pdf.

Is more of what you're saying is a true furled leader?
Jim Willams runs a furling website in the UK. He's done a lot for modern furling and has a lot of good tutorials and pictorials. That is a furled leader. You twist (say CCW) two different legs, equal amounts of twists (usually 10% reduction in length). When it's done twisting, you put the two legs together, add the weight at the bottom, and hang it up. It then naturally furl's CW all by itself. When it's done you have a furled leader. That's the abreviated version.
Old 01-26-2011, 09:11 PM

Brewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really nice

I started using furled leaders several years ago, and since then almost all I have used is furled leaders - last time I used a standard knotless mono/fluoro leader was when I was fishing with 12lb and 15lb leaders. I have tried several brands of furled leaders from several vendors (including Joni), and I have found they all worked better than non-furled leaders for almost all casting. The thread leaders work especially well when switching back and forth between small midges and small dries, without changing the leader.

Early last spring I purchased a couple of furled leaders in 4wt (6ft) and 5wt (7ft) made from spiderwire. The spiderwire has a more or less neutral buoyancy, yet does not float on top of the water; it basically floats just under the surface. Thus I have not had to apply any floatant. The spider wire comes in a greenish color that blends well with most water, and it is strong, strong, strong! I have been using the same two leaders (one 4wt and one 5wt) for all of last year - more than 60 full days of fishing plus uncounted partial days. In fact, I actually broke a fly line and lost the 4wt spiderwire leader on one trip, and then found it floating in a backwater later in the day after the fish got free of the line. I just re-attached the spiderwire furled leader to my flyline and continued fishing with it.

In fact, when I start fishing this spring, it will be with the same two leaders. I plan on using them until they either break or eventually stop working right.