The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2010, 11:19 PM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute
Default Furled Leaders ... ?

Hi all.

This isn't exactly regarding fly lines, but sort of. I ran across a little article back in the summer about furled leaders. I remembered using the Orvis braided leader, I believe they called them, back years ago when I was just starting out and trying different things (being sold different things!). At some point many years ago I guess I quit buying them, but in my memory I liked the way they casted. Now this could easily be because I couldn't cast and didn't know the difference.

But this article about furled leaders intrigued me, partly for the claims made of superior turn over, shock absorption and strength and partly because I love making useful things to fish with.

So, who out there fishes with/has fished with furled leaders? Tell me about it, please. And secondly, if you make them, can you steer me toward some good instruction? I saw a website with instruction for a jig with multiple posts and hooks, a bobin, etc...right up my alley!

Thoughts, experience and comments are appreciated!
Old 12-15-2010, 11:37 PM

lancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Furled Leaders ... ?

Youtube it. Now I do not fish them but from what I understand, all the benefits you mentioned come from the fact that a furled leader naturally tapers itself. Therefore creating a but section and tapered sections without having the knots. It's also all twisty (grammaticly correct? I think so!) anyway which from what I understand gives it some of it's suppleness and shock absorption.
Old 12-16-2010, 05:25 AM

cattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to all

I discovered Furled leaders about a year ago and for freshwater 5-6 wt and below, Ill never use anything else. Okay, maybe not never, but as long as I have furled leaders available that's what I prefer. I will say that I know you can use mono or the like to make your "furls" but of the ones Ive used I prefer those made with thread. I can turn over very small dries that should call for something like a 2-3 wt, ever so delicately with my 5wt and rollcasting is a breeze. Ive even got a furled leader made with kevlar thread to use with my 9wt that I just love. Ive used a couple different brands of furled leaders and most were good but I prefer Joni's. She's a member here and really puts out a great product. http://utahflygoddess.yolasite.com/
I hope this helps.
Just my half-nickel......

It's not what I catch when I'm fishing, it's what I lose that matters to me...
----------------------------------------
Good decisions come from experience...Experience comes from bad decisions...
Old 12-16-2010, 11:17 AM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute

I second the recommendation of Joni and her products. Contact her and give them a try and you won't be sorry.

Now, for me, I discovered a concept called "Twisted Leaders" a few years ago in a magazine article before discovering furled leaders. There is a difference between the two and I prefer the twisted type because they have many of the features of furled, yet they are very uncomplicated to make and can be constructed without jigs or such - just a length of leader material and your own two hands. I make all of my own and love them. They turn over like a dream and give that little extra when it comes to shock absorption when hooking and fighting fish. I don't use any thing else in any of my fishing settings, whether dry-fly, nymphing, or streamers. I even used them when I went to Alaska for Silvers a few years ago. Anyway, just my two-cents.

Here is a link to my slide show on how to "twist" your own:
" title="Twisted Leaders slideshow by kglissmeyer - Photobucket" target="_blank">Twisted Leaders slideshow by kglissmeyer - Photobucket
bw
Good luck in your quest. There are a lot of options out there that will fill the bill.

Kelly.
Old 12-16-2010, 11:34 AM

popperfly is a splendid one to beholdpopperfly is a splendid one to beholdpopperfly is a splendid one to beholdpopperfly is a splendid one to beholdpopperfly is a splendid one to beholdpopperfly is a splendid one to beholdpopperfly is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via Skype™ to popperfly

I have been fishing with furled leaders that I make (wet or dry flies) for about 4 years now, wont fish without them. I make them from Fluorocarbon line for wet flies to Uni Thread for dry flies. If you have any interest in making your own furled leaders, you can purchase a DVD by Kathy for only $15.00 the DVD is called "Simple Furled Leaders by Kathy Scott” it is worth every dollar.

A friend let me barrow his DVD and this is how I got started making my own. The cool thing is you can play a D.V.D. on your computer and you can Stop & Play at anytime. Now in no way am I promoting this DVD, I just purchased one for reference only.

Here is some more information about Kathy Scotts furled leaders on the following website
"Simple Furled Leaders by Kathy Scott - Fly Angler's OnLine Product Review"

If you would like one of Kathy DVD hear is how to reach her:

Andrea Bamboo Rods
RR 2 Box 1235
Norridgewock, ME 04957
Phone: 207-587-4524
Old 12-16-2010, 11:43 AM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

+1 for getting Joni's furled leaders if you are going to buy. Her size; color; use options are awesome as well as the performance. Someone posted her link above. She's also a member here and checks in often.
Old 12-16-2010, 01:30 PM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute

Hey! Thanks for all the advice.

I will certainly look up Joni.

Kelly, thanks for the "twisted" leader info and tutorial. Question: with your 2x twisted leader, what would that compare to in a standard tapered leader? Do you tie 18" of 4x tippet on that, or??

Thanks again, I reckon I'll have to give the furled a try!
Old 12-16-2010, 09:25 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Dean,
The thing about furled s they can be made with any material. By any, I mean thread for color and the MOST supple of all material. This can lay a #32 dry down so delicate with little effort.
First off you can cast a furled leader with nothing else. You can't do that with other leaders.

You say that you used the Orvis Braided. That is going to be very similar to the thread. BUT, braided will spray water every time you lift it. A furled spirals in the water and no spray.

Also if I remember, braided can be quite long. Mine are 5' to 6' in which you add 2' to 6' of tippet. And I offer a tippet ring or a shorb loop for the tippet. Nice thing about the rings is you can change out tippet easy without fear of cutting the leader.

Furled leader has ZERO memory. NO other leader can say that, specially ones made from mono.
I do have a secret mono that is very supple though.

Plus my leaders can be a FIVE stage taper. That is why you can cast just the leader.

I also make 10 - 12 foot Tenkaras
Old 12-16-2010, 09:38 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Hee is another vote for Joni's furled leaders........they are AWESOME!

Larry

Old 12-17-2010, 05:27 PM

Joni, thanks for the info, I am sold on giving these at least a try. Let me ask a couple more questions:

How are your leaders sized? I mean are they classified like a standard tapered mono leader, i.e. 2x, 3x, 4x...7x - or do you match up to your line weight and go with different lengths i.e. a 5' for 1x-4x and a 6' for 5x-7x? I noticed in the picture on you website store that the packages have a length and line weight.

I also really like the idea of having a leader that will sink, when you want it to! and not when you don't! Is it simply a material difference?

How long will a typical floating leader last, ballpark? At some point they must get to dirty to keep floating, right?

Thanks for all the info. I'll probably make an order soon. But then I know I am going to try to make some for myself this winter.