The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2010, 08:09 AM

chicagojohn will become famous soon enoughchicagojohn will become famous soon enough
Default Best Line for 9' versus 8'6" rods

Looking for line recommendations for a Winston Biix 8'6" 4 weight and a 9' 6 weight.

I have used Scientific Mastery Trout Series WF line on the 6 weight.

* Does anyone see a huge difference in the ability to cast larger flies further with the half weight addition of a GPX or Rio Grand? I have had a few resources tell me that using the standard weighted line will actually assist in generating higher line speed, thus improving distance, and that the half weight is not necessary.

* How is indicator fishing influenced by a slightly heavier / lighter line on a longer versus a shorter rod?
Old 12-16-2010, 10:01 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: Best Line for 9' versus 8'6" rods

I don't see the length difference as really coming into play here.

Its true that you should be able to create higher line speed on a given rod with the Trout line versus the GPX, and cast further, but your mention of "larger flies" changes things. If you're going to be throwing hoppers and rigs with large indicators, the added "oomph" from the .5wt heavy GPX line could help you cast further, especially on windy days.

For me, I'd sooner have the Trout line on the 4wt and the GPX on the 6 though. I think of a 4wt as more of a general purpose trout rod, and a 6 as a windy day/big fly/streamer flinger, all of which would be better served by the GPX line.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 12-16-2010, 11:38 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best Line for 9' versus 8'6" rods

Cliff pretty much covered it. Good answer, dude!

I will expand on indo-rigging. Some of the guides who I work with purposely upline their nymph rigs up to three line sizes. The whole idea is for two reasons. First, it opens up the loops so multiple fly rigs don't foul up. Second, it loads the rod more to throw all that junk which is beneficial for those who may not be as experienced. Rio's Indicator line is one size heavier than it is labeled for this purpose.

MP