The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2009, 09:55 PM

MikeG will become famous soon enough
Default Sharkskin line dilemma

In the last month I been asking about feedback on sharkskin line and today at work a guy came in complaining about it. He had been using it for a month straight in florida fishing and in the caribbean. He came into the store to get a refund because the line was filing down parts of his guides.

I saw the damage first hand and I am wondering whether it is worth it.

Does anyone think it is worth getting the skarkskin line if I know it will eventually wear my guides down?
Old 03-15-2009, 07:48 AM

tgoodwater2002 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Sharkskin line dilemma

I bought some and I don't like it. The first time I used it, it wore a sore on my finger. It felt like I was stripping in a rope right across my finger. I can see how it would damage the guides. I will have to check my rod now. Thanks for the info. I would go with the smooth fly line.
Old 03-15-2009, 08:36 AM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

It could be cheap guides too. I'd get ahold of SA or the local rep and let them know because they have a lot of money invested in SS. If Sharkskin did that to his rod, I think they'd want to know and do some tests on it. If you don't have at least some hardened chrome guides, it might wear on them. But how were his guides before the Sharkskin. Or would he or anyone even know?
And we've all heard about the guys with sore or cut fingers. Like Jackster said in a previous SS post, it cut into his fingers but the were wet all day long.
I've had the SS for some months now and it's never bothered my finger or done any damage to the guides or epoxy/varnish.
Old 03-15-2009, 11:36 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi to all,

The difference may be that in one case we are talking about fresh water and in the other case it is saltwater. A saltwater fly fisher would be doing a bunch of stripping, The salt air and sand could also have an effect. Some of the Florida sand is almost like a powder.

I agree with Mojo about the guide material. I wonder what kind of rod that fella was using. Soft guides can be damaged with normal fly lines. Early spinning rods with soft guides were cut by mono.

Frank
Old 03-15-2009, 12:00 PM

MikeG will become famous soon enough

The guy came during our fishing spring sale and the SA rep was there, he must of called and asked when the rep was coming. When we explained to the rep what was wrong before we told him what rod the customer used he replied by saying the guides on your rod must be cheap or were already scratched up. The customer did not care for that reply and the SA rep left quickly but gave him a 25% off coupon for sharkskin line.

I found out in the past that not all reps are friendly. The customer and I were turned off by that, I sold the customer a Sage Xi2 before he left for his trip and he was using skarkskin line. I will tell you one thing, when the Sage rep heard what the SA rep said he was a bit P.O.

I think I will buy the 9wt magnum line for a floater but I still need to find a good sinking line.
Old 03-15-2009, 12:56 PM

HookEmHorns will become famous soon enough

Hell, if the guy didn't like the line and got a 25% of coupon, I would take it! haha. That stuff is expensive!

I've heard of the sharkskin wearing guides, but not very often. I also wonder about the quality of the guides before he put the sharkskin on it. Is there a dressing that is supposed to go on this line? I have not personally used it, but I have heard some good and bad things about it.

I read in another thread by Armando. He had problems with the line 'burning' his hands as well and asked if there were gloves that were made that would help with it. In a reply to that thread, MikeG said that SA is working on some new gloves to help out with that paroblem. So hopefully they come up with them soon.

By the way, how much is the Sharkskin line now? Last time I looked it was $100... If anyone knows where it can be found cheaper, send me a PM or something... Thanks.

HookEmHorns
Old 03-15-2009, 06:34 PM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

didn't impress me very much. I could cast the same with a cheaper line.
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 03-15-2009, 07:34 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

I have had mine for several months also. To say it doesn't cast better than a cheap line? "MY" answer is...well, never mind, to each their own ;-)
For me, DAY AND NIGHT but then again I don't fish CHEAP line. My cheapest is Selective Trout II off e-bay for $55. Sharkskin is all it is written up as. But, again I heard the GPX is a better all around line over the Trout.
I think Frank has a valid point with the Salt, and sand.
Has it hurt my guides...no not at all, but I do use it on several different rods.
I have been using it on my boo and OMG does it roll cast like a dream.
And yes it is still around $100.
Old 03-15-2009, 07:51 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni View Post
For me, DAY AND NIGHT
I wholeheartedly agree, and you don't even have to be able to sell them to know that! The biggest change was getting used to overshooting my mark!
Old 03-15-2009, 08:05 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
The guy came during our fishing spring sale and the SA rep was there, he must of called and asked when the rep was coming. When we explained to the rep what was wrong before we told him what rod the customer used he replied by saying the guides on your rod must be cheap or were already scratched up. The customer did not care for that reply and the SA rep left quickly but gave him a 25% off coupon for sharkskin line.

I found out in the past that not all reps are friendly. The customer and I were turned off by that, I sold the customer a Sage Xi2 before he left for his trip and he was using skarkskin line. I will tell you one thing, when the Sage rep heard what the SA rep said he was a bit P.O.

I think I will buy the 9wt magnum line for a floater but I still need to find a good sinking line.
I'd be for calling SA Monday morning and telling them what happened and what the rep did. If you sold him the Xi2 recently, it's got good hardened chrome guides. I'd be pissed too. I'd ask what they plan to do about the rod guides. If it was a new Sage and the guides wore (did all have a groove in them?) from the SS, I'd try to find out for yourself, the shop and your customer.
I guess it's possible there could have been a bad batch of guides from Sage's distributor ( I think it's H&H guides)but I doubt it. What weight was his line? Anything could be possible, but I would think you would want to get to the bottom of this also.