The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2009, 10:30 PM

crittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nice
Default Re: Another Sharkskin Line Thread

I formally apologize to all of those people I offended when I made the previous comment about "Hanz and Franz" and Girllly Man..

This last weekend I told myself I would do 2 hours of streamer fishing with a woollybugger so I could get over my mental inability to catch and land a fish on this freeaking fly...

I cheated I tied a tandem a woolybugger and Missouri's own Crackleback 6 inches behind.. I actually started catching fish for the fist time stripping on the down stream swing..

And wouldn't you know it .. my Girrly fingers were cut after catching about 8 fish in two hours stripping...

So yes the line does cut your right hand when you strip...

My solution: Man up and get my hands tough Guess I got to go fish ;^)

Critter
Old 05-07-2009, 07:43 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by crittergetter View Post
I formally apologize to all of those people I offended when I made the previous comment about "Hanz and Franz" and Girllly Man..

This last weekend I told myself I would do 2 hours of streamer fishing with a woollybugger so I could get over my mental inability to catch and land a fish on this freeaking fly...

I cheated I tied a tandem a woolybugger and Missouri's own Crackleback 6 inches behind.. I actually started catching fish for the fist time stripping on the down stream swing..

And wouldn't you know it .. my Girrly fingers were cut after catching about 8 fish in two hours stripping...

So yes the line does cut your right hand when you strip...

My solution: Man up and get my hands tough Guess I got to go fish ;^)

Critter
If you have girly man hands or Chuck Norris hands, they will be cut up by any line after so much water get to them. Suck it up. A pair of kevlar gloves will fit the bill.
Old 10-19-2009, 10:16 PM

crittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nice
Angry Re: Another Sharkskin Line Thread

Ok after a summer of using sharkskin and being a fan, The bling and shine just wore off..

I fished a tailwater of a lake while it was turning over and very dirty...

I felt that after 2 hours maybe 3 hours this line began to sink and sink a bunch..

So here is my questions:

Has anybody felt the line gets dirty quicker and sinks quicker in murky dirty water?

I really liked the line until now and feel you can't even long line nymph without cleaning it. And how can you clean it on stream during an all day hike..
Old 10-19-2009, 10:28 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Looking forward to answer on this one. I do use the SS, and have not noticed any sinking, but I don't use it exclusive, so can't really say.
Old 10-19-2009, 10:35 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Ok after a summer of using sharkskin and being a fan, The bling and shine just wore off..

I fished a tailwater of a lake while it was turning over and very dirty...

I felt that after 2 hours maybe 3 hours this line began to sink and sink a bunch..

So here is my questions:

Has anybody felt the line gets dirty quicker and sinks quicker in murky dirty water?

I really liked the line until now and feel you can't even long line nymph without cleaning it. And how can you clean it on stream during an all day hike..
You fished some dirty tailwaters and after 2 or 3 hours the line began to sink?
I think if you fished any other line in that type of water, 2 or 3 minutes would have been tops.
I just guessing, but maybe once in a while, you just might have to to the old fashioned thing and clean it. Give it a mild dish soap bath (take a picture of the dirty water) rinse if off and give another report.

One more thing- you still have the welded loop end on it?
Old 10-20-2009, 08:27 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Crittergetter,

How dirty was your line before you used it in the dirty water. If you fished it all Summer with out cleaning it from time to time the line may have already been dirty before you hit the dirty lake water. If that is the case a dirty line would have collected dirt much quicker than it normally would have.

As someone who started with a silk line and had to clean it and grease it on stream several times a day, I would loved to have your SS or any of the modern fly lines.

Frank
Old 10-20-2009, 04:23 PM

WOW.... I never have experienced this. I guess the streams we fish in MO, being spring fed, never muck up your line in less than a day, even in mossy conditions...

I did start with clean line. I do clean my line before every trip. It really helps.. I did discover you need to use a little dish soap and clean it away.. leaving soapy water on your line makes it sink.

Mojo
I still have the welded loop and have contemplated cutting it off and putting another flouro loop on it with a nail not. Do you think the welded loop might be pulling it down?

Thanks all..
Critter
Old 10-20-2009, 06:26 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Avoid dish detergents... too harsh. Even the line manufacturers warn against using it.
Old 10-20-2009, 07:55 PM

Quote:
WOW.... I never have experienced this. I guess the streams we fish in MO, being spring fed, never muck up your line in less than a day, even in mossy conditions...

I did start with clean line. I do clean my line before every trip. It really helps.. I did discover you need to use a little dish soap and clean it away.. leaving soapy water on your line makes it sink.

Mojo
I still have the welded loop and have contemplated cutting it off and putting another flouro loop on it with a nail not. Do you think the welded loop might be pulling it down?

Thanks all..
Critter
No, I was wondering, because people cut them off and do like you do, but don't seal the ends. Water soaks in and causes it to sink.
Jack, I haven't heard that, but I guess it's feasible. I was going the Ivory soap way.