The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2009, 03:49 PM

HookEmHorns will become famous soon enough
Default Another Sharkskin Line Thread

Hey y'all,
I know it is another sharkskin line thread, but I have decided that I am going to give it a try. I don't care what it will do to my guides, I need to buy new rods anyway. And as for hurting my fingers, I think I can get over that, as long as I can cast farther and smoother in the process.

Anyway, what I was wondering about was the different freshwater lines and two different ones, in particular. The Trout taper, and the GPX line.
I think that I am going to buy an 8wt. rod sometime soon to help me out with all the wind and such here and help reel in those big fish this summer.
On the GPX link, it has the diffrent sizes of line and whatnot in a table at the bottom. The 8wt line is asterisk'd and it says that "dry tip sizes 8 and above."

What does that mean? What is the 'dry tip?' And why do the 8wt and up not need it?

For the trout taper, I was just wondering what the diffrence is between it and the GPX. I see on the trout taper link that it is a different type of weight forward line and I was wondering why it is diffrent and what advantages it would have to have this?

I'm going to be fishing for bass, bluegill, carp, catfish, and fish like that. But it wouldn't be unrealistic for me to randomly take a trip down to the Ozarks or to Bennett Springs for a day or two if I felt like it.
What would you suggest?
So many questions, sorry guys.

Thanks a ton for the advice in advance,
HookEmHorns
Old 03-18-2009, 11:37 AM

jebson38 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Another Sharkskin Line Thread

Fished it all weekend, stripping boogers, and finger was not raw at all just polished and shiney.
Old 03-18-2009, 05:04 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebson38 View Post
Fished it all weekend, stripping boogers, and finger was not raw at all just polished and shiney.
Stripping boogers and a polished and shiny finger just doesn't sound quite right.
Old 03-18-2009, 06:19 PM

MikeG will become famous soon enough

I think the whole it cut my fingers up thing could also be different on an individual basis. I work with my hands alot and due to that they are not soft like a wimp's hands. Maybe those guys who fingers got cut up had wimp hands.
Old 03-18-2009, 08:24 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
I think the whole it cut my fingers up thing could also be different on an individual basis. I work with my hands alot and due to that they are not soft like a wimp's hands. Maybe those guys who fingers got cut up had wimp hands.
So you're telling us your manly hands have calluses even in the crease where the joints bend?
Your fingers must not bend too well then is all I'm saying.
Old 03-18-2009, 08:25 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Trout is too specialized to me. The GPX cast short and long and all in between with more accuracy...but that is my feeling and the owner of Western Rivers.
Old 03-18-2009, 09:11 PM

MikeG will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackster View Post
So you're telling us your manly hands have calluses even in the crease where the joints bend?
Your fingers must not bend too well then is all I'm saying.
No, I was not really being serious about that.
Old 03-18-2009, 09:26 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

You guys are cracking me up!!!! I needed to laugh and you did the trick.......
Old 03-18-2009, 10:34 PM

HookEmHorns will become famous soon enough

Jackster that was hilarious! Gotta love it!

Thanks Joni, I really didn't know what the difference was between the two. I had only heard people talk about the GPX and never the trout taper... I think you are right on about being too specialized. I don't have enough money to buy a different reel, rod, and line for every species! lol If only the world did work like that. That would be the life!

HookEmHorns
Old 03-20-2009, 07:07 PM

crittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nice

My thought on GPX vs Trout Taper... ( I use Trout. And was able to cast GPX side by side with Trout)

GPX is 1/2 weight heavier. Belly is a bit thicker for easier roll casts.
Trout Taper is longer tapering belly maybe better for softer top water casts.

Now for eight weight... I don't think you will want to float a dry fly down like a cotton ball.. and if you have to roll cast more get the GPX. Your casting style might be better on one vs other and your rod might work one better than the other. If you think your rod performs better overweighted you might just get the GPX in the same weight...

Kansas City Cabela's fly dude will confirm a better idea on the difference between the both.

Good luck..

PS... At 8 weight you migth really take a look at the saltwater taper.. It could be even better for what you want. A co-worker in VA loves the saltwater line.

PPS... And all those whimpy hand comments makes me think of Saturday Night Live HANZ and FRANZ "Girly maaaannn"