The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2010, 12:00 PM

kruggy1 is a jewel in the roughkruggy1 is a jewel in the roughkruggy1 is a jewel in the rough
Default Thoughts on Rio indicator line for steelhead

Its time to replace my 8wt line and was looking into this line due to all the nymphing we due in Ohio for steelies. Any thoughts or info will be helpfull!!
Old 12-19-2010, 04:58 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Thoughts on Rio indicator line for steelhead

Hey Kruggy! Where have you been?

I am not up to speed on the line you ask about but unless it is twice the cost of a regular line, why not? You know that I am pretty crude when it comes to line choice (always a DT floater) unless I need to use sink tips to reach the fish. I'm not much of a line connoisseur but it's good to see you posting again

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 12-19-2010, 06:20 PM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Hey Kruggy, long time no see... Take a look at the coldwater clouser line Rio makes; works great for indi fishing, and nicely for swinging flies too...
Dan
Old 12-19-2010, 07:23 PM

kruggy1 is a jewel in the roughkruggy1 is a jewel in the roughkruggy1 is a jewel in the rough

Hey Guys,
Sorry for not posting lately, just been very busy..

Thanks for your replies, I will have to check out that clouser line Dan!!!
Old 12-19-2010, 07:25 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

It's a great line for what is designed for - slinging out indo rigs and line control. It will turn over multiple fly indo rigs easily. The longer belly is great for line control.

If you want a multipurpose line, HRD's suggestion on the Coldwater Clouser line is a better option.

MP
Old 12-20-2010, 06:04 AM

chi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to behold

I use the Indicator Line for my 7 wt. for Steelies. It's a great line, especially for roll casting larger flies/indies, floats well, and is what I expect from Rio lines. Solid.

For my 8 wt. I use Rio Steelhead/Salmon taper. I chose this line because I use my 8 wt. on larger/wider rivers. It has a very long belly and is tremendous mending line. If you fish big rivers for Steel and really want to mend, I would select the Steelhead/Salmon line.

Cheers,
Mike.