The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2010, 12:25 PM

ant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: The End of The Line; Discussions on Furlled & Knotted Leaders.

I downloaded the Leadercalc; that's a pretty neat tool. After a quick research on how to figure out the diameters of the sections, it seems pretty easy to use. At worse it gives me something to do when it's too cold to fish.
FlyFishinado - My Fly Fishing Blog
Old 12-24-2010, 01:56 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Anthony, Is that cool stuff, or is that cool stuff?? I tend to build only a couple of leaders, and finesse the last taper to fit my tippet needs: a 9' 3X can have the tippet cut down to a short taper section, and a 4X or 5X tippet added. I also tie light leaders for 4wt lines, but don't use them too often. The 12 foot Borger leader is something worth trying at least once.
Old 12-24-2010, 03:30 PM

ant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to behold

I was thinking about trying some formulas, but leaving off that last section of tippet and putting a tippet ring on, so I can fine tune it stream side.
Old 12-24-2010, 10:17 PM

Shane Stroud is a jewel in the roughShane Stroud is a jewel in the roughShane Stroud is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ant View Post
I was thinking about trying some formulas, but leaving off that last section of tippet and putting a tippet ring on, so I can fine tune it stream side.
I used to do that quite a lot. I would put a loop in the end and swap out tippet to get what I liked. It worked incredibly well. My only problem, and maybe this was due to my lack of experience, was when I used a dry fly with a dropper. For some reason, my knotted leaders never worked quite as well that way.

That's the only problem I ever had with a knotted leader, aside from badly tied knots, which was always 100% my fault.
Old 01-09-2011, 11:25 AM

I decided to "tie one on" last night. I had bought the Umpqua Leader kit with some Xmas loot, thinking that it would be an easy way to get what I needed to build my leaders. Fail......

I plugged into the LeaderCalc that I wanted a 12' 5x leader, and it showed me that I needed XYZ lengths of 05x, 03x, 01x,..... BUT my nifty kit did not include the 03x and the 01x. So I rigged it with 04x and 02x, respectively.

Will this stiffer leader butt section prove too problematic in turning over the fly? I play on trying it out with a 5wt, if it makes a difference.
Old 01-09-2011, 11:41 AM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Anthony,
I bought an Orvis kit about 8 years ago, and it contained .021, .019, .017, etc spools. It sounds like the Umpqua kit has the .020, .018, etc line. In any case, I don't think the stiff butt will hurt casting, but might effect the way the leader lays out on the water. Some people do not want a straight leader for dry flies, and you can look at Gary/Jason Borger's recipes, along with Harvey and Humphrey's. The Borger 12' dry fly leader has very few sections, and is designed to land in an S shape. The good news is that you can buy spools of butt material cheap, and also get soft and hard butt material to further refine your leaders.
Old 01-09-2011, 11:58 AM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future

Love my own, hand-tied leaders of Maxima Chameleon for atlantic salmon fishing. Would almost rather knot (heh heh) fish than fish with anything else. ALMOST.
Knottingly yours,
Gary
Old 01-09-2011, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankB2 View Post
Hi Anthony,
I bought an Orvis kit about 8 years ago, and it contained .021, .019, .017, etc spools. It sounds like the Umpqua kit has the .020, .018, etc line. In any case, I don't think the stiff butt will hurt casting, but might effect the way the leader lays out on the water. Some people do not want a straight leader for dry flies, and you can look at Gary/Jason Borger's recipes, along with Harvey and Humphrey's. The Borger 12' dry fly leader has very few sections, and is designed to land in an S shape. The good news is that you can buy spools of butt material cheap, and also get soft and hard butt material to further refine your leaders.
Thanks Frank. I was doing an online search and it doesn't seem that Umpqua makes a 03x or a 01x. I read in the kit that I shouldn't mix and match brands, but does that really matter? I'd like to pick up spools of my missing ingredients, and don't think that the maker should matter as much as the diameter being proper.
Old 01-09-2011, 12:12 PM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future

Ant - I think you will find dramatic differences in leader material from maker to maker in terms of, but not limited to, stiffness, hardness, actual diameter to stated Xvalue, etc.
Gary
Old 01-09-2011, 01:51 PM

Hi Anthony,
I was just repairing some leaders..... Like Gary stated, there is a difference in diameter/stiffness among manufacturers, and I can tell you for a fact that Rio
4X tippet has a greater diameter than Umpqua 4X tippet. Not much, but enough to notice. I would say that's more important if you're adding tippet to a knotless leader, however. Knotted leaders can be tweaked in a number of ways, and mixing different brands of material is one such way. Some formulas call for a stiff butt secton, stiffer than the material supplied in kits. I don't use stiffer butt materials, but will use Rio tippet on the end of a leader made with Orvis butt and mid sections. Separate the butt, mid taper, and tippet, and you can do whatever you'd like. Why some people say not to mix brands is beyond me, but I don't mix brands when making sections.