The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2011, 01:42 PM

ant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: The End of The Line; Discussions on Furlled & Knotted Leaders.

So as long as I break the leader into sections, keep in mind the stiffness of material, the diameter, and which phase of the Mayan Calendar I make the leader in, I should be OK with working with different manufacturers.

Thanks guys! I was starting to kick myself for being cheap.
FlyFishinado - My Fly Fishing Blog
Old 01-09-2011, 01:52 PM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future

I'd pay more attention to a Celtic moon phase calendar than the Mayan deal, ant. The Mayans were famous for inaccuracies. You can count on the Celts especially during a full moon.

From what I've observed, a person can make leaders/tippets as complicated or simple as he/she wants. Oh wait, that's right, that's true of just about every aspect of fly fishing!

I do hope you find a combination that turns things over for you the way you want them to go!

Happy leadering,
Gary
Old 01-09-2011, 02:22 PM

ant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to behold

I don't know Gary, didn't the Celts invent whiskey? I know how accurate I am when I've sampled that sweet nectar...
Old 01-09-2011, 02:32 PM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future

ah, but you won't be caring all that much about accuracy either!! It'll ease your mind, me boy.
Old 01-09-2011, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt05254 View Post
ah, but you won't be caring all that much about accuracy either!! It'll ease your mind, me boy.
I will when I hook myself in the neck. Again.
Old 01-09-2011, 02:46 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I never use a store bought tapered leader. I tie my own with ANDE mono. I know what it will really break at. I can do things like make them with bite and shock tippets for the times where I don't want to risk loosing my fly to the big toothy critters that may accidently hit my fly, or for the times I target the toothy guys. I use a spey rod most of the time now so finding a 15' tapered leader is no easy task, particularly when I don't have what could really be called a fly shop within a 4 hour drive of here. Or more specifically one that does spey stuff within god only knows how far away, as I have never seen one. I own every spool of ANDE from 2 to 50 lb. and will not run out of leader stuff till I am so old I can't cast from my Hovaround. I do not see where tapered leaders work any better than the ones I make, and the cost is certainly far more for them than what I make. I have one of Joni's furled leaders, and that thing is pretty awsome. If I were to ever buy anything else in this department it would be more of hers. Maybe a 13' furled leader?
Old 01-09-2011, 02:56 PM

Default pain in the neck?

Yet another reason to go barbless, ant. I mean, once you get this leader deal all dialed in and that fly is breaking the sound barrier one moment and landing gently as a feather the next, you'll be so busy unhooking fish that you'll just have to go barbless to save time!
Painless in Vermont,
Gary
Old 01-09-2011, 05:57 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Anthony,
Is this the leader kit (and sizes) you bought:
Click the image to open in full size.
The picture shows .021, .019, .017, etc. All the stuff you need for the 12' 5X leader: .017, .015, .013, .011, etc.

05X= .017; 03X= .015; 01X= .013
Old 01-10-2011, 08:40 AM

No, mine is not that extensive.

But when I compared the numbers you have and the numbers that they have, they increased their sizes. I.e. Their 04x is the same diameter as your 03x. All of the heavier material seems to be that.
Old 01-10-2011, 11:07 AM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold

Hi Everyone
I started making Furled leaders a few years ago & kind of really got into it. I tried all types of materials & tapers. I got advice from the furled leader site & experimented some more. I even made a fairly elaborate furling board so I could experiment with different tapers. I gave samples to a lot of friends & asked for opinions. After about 100 or so leaders I found my favorite material to be " Cortland Camo xtra soft 2# & about 5" in length for general trout fishing. I've used them for Landlocked Salmon, Trout, Bass, & I've even used them in the Bahamas for Bonefish. I'm going to Chile next month & will supply the group of friends I'm going with with Furled leaders.
The only problem I've had is that they picked up sone slime while bass fishing around pads.
I put a Shorb loop on the Line end & either another Shorb loop or a Tippet ring on the other end.
I'll make a deal with the firs 20 of all you skeptics....Promise me that you'll make a MIN $5.00 DONATION to your Local Trout unlimited & I'll send you a sample leader by the end of Feb. Honor system Guys....
Sound good ... In the past I've gotten a lot of good info & help from this board & I'm willing to help you & T.U along
PM me
Neil