The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2011, 09:57 AM

araitim is just really nicearaitim is just really nicearaitim is just really nicearaitim is just really nice
Default Re: The End of The Line; Discussions on Furlled & Knotted Leaders.

OK....im the type of guy who if im catching fish wearing a certain shirt then ill continue wearing that shirt everytime i go fishing till i have a day of not catching fish. I have been furling my own leaders for about 6 months now and really enjoy it. i usually use a shorb loop to connecto to the fly line and a metal ring to the tippet. having not caught many trout lately and driving over an hour to get to the streams (and being out of "lucky" shirts) im looking at switching things up and want some advise........ i was wondering if anyone has nail knotted a furled leader to the fly line to create less bulk than a loop to loop connection. Also why do i need a shorb loop or a metal ring on the tippet side, im young (relatively) and still have good eye sight, cant i just uni knot my tippet right to the tiny loop you get when furling? what i am trying to do is make more of a smooth transition between all the connections. the furling method i have been using for dry flies is a 4 ft med taper furrel with 2lb co-polymer maxima ultragreen then adding 5ft of tippet to the end. should i make the leaders longer or the tippet longer?
Old 06-30-2011, 03:04 PM
Business Member

CutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to behold

Hello araitim,
I just sent you a PM on this thread. Basically I recommend using uni-thread for dry fly leaders, nothing beats it. Also, 4'-0" is too short for a good dry fly leader, set your jig so you get a longer leader. The thread leaders will allow you to use very long tippet compared to that of tapered leaders or leaders made from mono/nylon. I have been fishing with thread leaders for years. No issues with the loop-to-loop connection, but a nail knot will work for attaching to your fly-line. Let me know if you have other questions.
Thank you,

Mike
Hand Woven Furled Leaders
Site: http://www.cutthroatfurledleaders.com/
email. mike@cutthroatleader.com
Old 01-06-2012, 08:41 PM

leatherneck is on a distinguished road

Big Kudos to Mike of CutThroat Leaders. Mike quickly responded to my questions regarding his hand woven furled leaders (Made in the USA by Mike). I ordered some by mail/check during the last week of December and they arrive 5 business days later. These leaders both the tippet ring and the shorb loop are truely well made! I plan on giving the nymph leader a try tomorrow on the Lower Madison River here in SW Montana where the weather has been almost spring-like!
Thanks again for the great service ........Bozeman, MT
Old 02-17-2012, 07:34 AM

bluedaksi will become famous soon enoughbluedaksi will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ant View Post
Hi Walter,

I kind of wondered the same thing, as well as the benefits of a furled to knot less tapered leader. I found the video below on making furled (twisted) leaders and decided to give it a whirl. (bad pun not intended.)

After a couple failures, I got pretty good at it and can finish a leader in about 5-10 minutes. And they cost me about 10 cents to make. With the twisted leaders I noticed a gentler presentation with the fly.

But I think, like Shane said, to catch a fish on a fly and leader you made.

Now I have a question that maybe you guys can answer. I've read that furled leaders are better in almost every fishing situation(point of view, I know.) But, what situation would be better suited to use a tapered knot less or level leader? I haven't been able to find any info on that.

I've heard that when fishing with streamers it is better to use a level leader, but that's about all I've heard.

Here is the video:

YouTube - Building Furled Leaders Without Jigs or Tools
Searching for information on this forum is like finding gold. I don't know if I'll like the performance of the knotted hand-tied furled leader above, but I know that I'll have fun trying! Good stuff!
Old 02-25-2012, 12:40 PM

Shane Stroud is a jewel in the roughShane Stroud is a jewel in the roughShane Stroud is a jewel in the rough

That twisted leader above will turn over big bass poppers and heavy streamers pretty well. Better yet, it's dirt cheap and easy to make. I make them out of 10# fluorocarbon or 12 to 15# monofilament, (mono for poppers and fluoro for streamers) to about 7 feet in length, and add about 3 feet of 10# fluorocarbon, right off the spool as a tippet.

Otherwise, a store bought 0X tapered leader does alright for big bass flies. I still use them for that, but i'm really starting to lean toward twisted leaders in an effort to save money when fishing waters with lots of stumps and rocks. Making a leader for 10 cents versus buying one for a few bucks makes good financial sense. Besides, I like using something I made.
Old 02-25-2012, 09:28 PM
Business Member

CutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to behold

I use nothing but furled leaders, but of course I am biased. Although I have read some articles and know some guys that have had issues with furled leaders in weedy / pond slime conditions. The leader tends to get covered in the slime. I don’t think that it actually affects the fishing/casting, other than having a nasty smelling leader at the end of the day. Bass are not leader/tippet shy, so straight line leaders will work. But I personally prefer a heavy furled leader with a heavy length of tippet attached. Reason being, straight line leaders do not transfer enough energy to turn over and deliver big flies.
I do not get on to check my NAFFF messages as often as I should, but if you have any additional questions, feel free to email me at the contact info below.
jaybird267 likes this.

Mike
Hand Woven Furled Leaders
Site: http://www.cutthroatfurledleaders.com/
email. mike@cutthroatleader.com
Old 04-19-2012, 05:05 AM

stoneyclove will become famous soon enough

Hi guys,

I read what Mr Weamer said about attaching 3' of floro tippet to his 9'/12' leader. I was wondering....... is he using a nylon leader or a floro leader.

Can you attach 6x floro to say...4x nylon. I think I read somewhere that floro will cut through nylon?
Old 12-22-2013, 05:26 PM

Gerard will become famous soon enoughGerard will become famous soon enough

This maybe a stupid question so forgive me.
Are furlled leaders and twisted leaders one in the same?
Are they suitable for saltwater, large flies....12wt etc?

I was wondering as I would think twisted leaders would have much better shock absorption than the knotless ones used, particularly on the larger species.
Old 12-22-2013, 06:37 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard View Post
This maybe a stupid question so forgive me.
Are furlled leaders and twisted leaders one in the same?
Are they suitable for saltwater, large flies....12wt etc?

I was wondering as I would think twisted leaders would have much better shock absorption than the knotless ones used, particularly on the larger species.
Furled leaders are made on a jig and furled with an electric drill
Twisted leader are far more simple and done by hand. Anybody can make one in just a few minutes.

I have a twisted leader on one of my 9wt lines that's used for the salt.
It works well enough.
Not any better than a hand knotted leader, not any worse
Old 03-17-2014, 02:53 AM

wild6duck is on a distinguished road

I've used nothing but knotted leaders for the last twenty years. I prefer Cortland Cameo line for the leader. It has a bit of stretch, a margin of error, in handling a fish. The last section is easily changed allowing me to fish an entire season without replacing anything more than the last two sections. But as I've recently become a trout fisherman I'm having a hell of a time trying to tie on 6x as my last section using a blood knot. Any suggestions?